[Sora] Wrapping up 2019

CHAPMAN Tasha L * DCBS Tasha.L.Chapman at oregon.gov
Wed Dec 11 15:04:45 PST 2019

Hello all,

Thank you all for an outstanding year.  We celebrated our fifth anniversary.  We had four learning events - including our first ever trip to Portland.  We kicked off the monthly Data Happy Happy Hour.  And we're not done yet!

Happy Hour happening tomorrow!
We hope you'll join us tomorrow (December 12th) for the last Data Happy Happy Hour of the year.  Catch us at Hopheads (150 High St. SE, Salem) from 4pm-6pm for tasty treats and good fun.

Last week's event
Our event last week in Portland was a huge success.  If you missed it, we were able to record the afternoon presentations.  Huge thanks to the Communications Department at DCBS for making this happen.  Head over to OregonResearch.org<http://oregonresearch.org/> to see what you might have missed.

*         Dr. Larry Martinez, Portland State University - New Research in Diversity, Inclusion, and Allyship at Work

Diversity and inclusion remain critical aspects of organizational effectiveness and competitive advantage. However, there is often a lack of communication between research scholars who uncover data-driven best practices and organizational decision-makers who can enact actual change. In this talk, Dr. Martinez provides an overview of some of the most contemporary diversity and inclusion research including his own work on allyship in organizational contexts.

Check out the recording here<http://oregonresearch.org/?page_id=1384>

*         Peter Stevens, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife - How Many Roads Must a Sturgeon Walk Down? Movement of White Sturgeon in the Federal Columbia River Power System

Peter Stevens discusses how a long-term dataset of tagged White Sturgeon was used to examine sturgeon movements up and downstream within the Federal Columbia River Power System (FCRPS). This study used multi-state mark-recapture modeling with group co-variates to determine: 1) rates of inter-pool movement, 2) directionality of movement and 3) the physical mechanisms driving directional movement between pools.
                Check out the recording here<http://oregonresearch.org/?page_id=1387>

See you tomorrow for Happy Hour.  And if we don't see you there, have a very Happy Holiday!

[cid:image004.png at 01D59E25.1D8CC140]Tasha Chapman
2019 SORA Communications Coordinator