[techtalk] Tech-Talk: GRAPHICS - Reverse Google Image Search

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Apr 18 11:37:21 PDT 2017

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

This subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the Oregon State Library. Enjoy!

Find the exact image you want to use

Having a problem viewing this email? Click here for web version. <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1100778316270&ca=6742aded-1b4c-4379-bf71-17482bf92581>

[Tech-Talk]

Want to share Tech-Talk?  Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com>

© 2017 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the Oregon State Library ...
[OR State Library]The Oregon State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rcshdz1DfNLO0aDhqF491xlk_4p3yDlwHwzJJWDPzu83BIAzrnvTXVaE1vQxmXOEfGDzIHX10zpqnbQ9nVO0cGbVfIIW5tv-33FsrQGuI20PrI490bBqA504=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>.
Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH
(case sensitive)
Contact us by email Darci Hanning, darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[Tech-Talk Video]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rchOJwGROqn59KLCfHBRnH7nmKPYqBqcYL3C5-8eVxHhYow8lhE1agOF5uyWJb_48q1FOtYg4MKcmQd5UkESZUY_zyu7o9NkBDKXAlN5FCzG0O-5bN-WDQtcnCyf2xi7676PKi0yKEvJT_hE8cLbmfVtByppvYktx-c1fPNdggeOthv6ayhyp9Kc=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>
This Week's Tech-Talk:  GRAPHICS
1. VIDEO ... Google Reverse Image Search
2. ARTICLE ... Google Reverse Image Search
3. COMMUNICATING ... Whispering Works!

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rchOJwGROqn59KLCfHBRnH7nmKPYqBqcYL3C5-8eVxHhYow8lhE1agOF5uyWJb_48q1FOtYg4MKcmQd5UkESZUY_zyu7o9NkBDKXAlN5FCzG0O-5bN-WDQtcnCyf2xi7676PKi0yKEvJT_hE8cLbmfVtByppvYktx-c1fPNdggeOthv6ayhyp9Kc=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>. Enter the User Name and Password!

Tech-Talk: GRAPHICS - Reverse Google Image Search
Intermediate

Have you ever found a great image on the web and wanted to put it in a flyer or PowerPoint ... but were concerned about possible copyright issues?

Maybe you found an interesting picture online, or a thought-provoking graphic in a blog or maybe even a creative item on Pinterest.

You can't just download and use any image you find on the web due to copyright limitations. So how can you find that perfect image for your own use?

[image search]For example, we were putting together a new website and found a vibrant picture of a "rainbow rose" that was perfect. We wanted to use that exact image, but knew we just couldn't download it. We needed to make sure we could acquire it legally.

There is a way! We used a free tool from Google called Reverse Image Search. Normally you would use the search engine for keywords and phrases. But now you can search by an actual image.

Using this cool way to look for a picture, we were able to find that very same image multiple places on the web. From examining these sites, we could determine if it required buying or not.

We were anticipating having to purchase the image from a stock photo site, but found that it was available to download for free on a wallpaper site!

NOTE: That was great luck for us, but it is not always the case.  It's more common to find out who owns the image so you can purchase it.  Here's what we found.

[Reverse seach]

So if you need help finding a particular image ... or one that evokes the same type of look or feeling ... Google's Reverse Image Search is very powerful! You may not find an exact image, but one very similar that you can use.

How Does Reverse Image Search Work?

When you search using an image, your results may include: 1) similar images or 2) websites that include that image.

There are four different ways to search by an image.  For all of them, to get started, go to Images.Google.com (https://images.google.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rchOJwGROqn590XvGfef3cLSfzzVI98-PkJa8tUq0SMv_z-NOEfDoFuvJZmDi8eJp6F_9DiX6iWKpApNfCTEk3WBEx1Aj-7zcLPq19B3pS8vjsa8H1XZbNos=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>).

If you have a copy of the picture on your computer:

1. Drag and drop the image file directly into the search box. (This works in Chrome or Firefox.)

2. Click the camera icon in the search box, and on the upload an image tab, choose the file from your computer.

[upload image]

[upload image]

If you saw the image on a website:

3. Right-click and choose Copy Image address (or something like it depending on what browser you're using). Then click the camera icon in the search box and in the Paste image URL tab,  paste the URL of the image in it, then click Search by Image.

[paste URL]

[Google image search]4. And (easiest of all) if you're using Google Chrome as your Internet browser and you found an image on a website, right-click on the image, choose Search Google for image, and a new tab will open with your results.

In any of these cases, when you're viewing the search results, you can click on an image to see where it is located. Most likely many results will show. You'll need to sift through them to locate a site where you can download or purchase the image.

For example, we had this image of a woman pushing half of the picture aside. After uploading it to images.google.com, we found lots of other websites that use it, but further down the page there was a link to a stock photo site where we could purchase it for $1.

[image search]

If you just want to find images and don't have any particular sample ideas, there are many free and low-cost websites to use. For lots of choices, go to Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rchMWRetlq1E9fQ0w2UXYJ9Mip0QnIvdQxuLx9xtH7aLUPLxdkHJPgHiMuvfwrSeHOf7BHLa_Zd960v7YwcYyjzQDKx-nV-nhO2uebRjX_2CRiNfkMGF5puU=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>, sign in, and in the search box put in "stock photos."

[Communications]Mobile Communications:  Cell Phones
Whispering works!

There I was, sitting in the library, quietly working on my laptop, when what to my wondering ears came the ring of a cell phone.

No problem.  Many folks answer the call while walking to a lobby, a courtyard or somewhere away from people.

But not in this case!  Not only did the gentleman take the call, he loudly discussed how he was an engineer, he did consulting work, and on and on.  It was very difficult to concentrate, instead of becoming involved in his call.

OK, we know that calls are important ... and we need to talk to get the job, or handle the problem or build a relationship.

But the cool thing is ... (and not many people know this or use it) ... is that you can literally whisper into your cell phone and the person at the other end will hear you perfectly.
The trick is to realize that just because you have difficulty hearing the caller, does not mean the caller can't hear you!  Really!  Try it.  The next time you're on a cell, try whispering ... talking very softly, almost under your breath ... and then ask:  "Can you hear me?".

Practicing talking very softly on the cell will hold you in good stead the next time you have to converse in a restaurant, on a plane or in a library ... where lots of people are around to hear you.

[Tech-Talk]

CLICK HERE ... FOR THE LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rcsAvkwiLV_FCiCMD8eimK5NzkNoQlisjm-Nc7rUnnFhdA5X0flECTIswbVhnZu9thiq_us76myKHAOX-1Kh-E6O5wpxizxUPZHxI0MB7BSUrXoH8uZZgZbw=&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>

Your Tech-Talk.com Membership Site!

NOTE: Forgot your user ID?  See your sponsor block at the top. Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

[mystery man]

Topic Suggestion or Frustration?
Have a problem that we can solve for you?
Just tell us and we'll get you the answer!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zWp5pMbiyd0d4F7sMP0Z0-nYuIop4rNje9niSUf8JtW5Tshxby8rcshdz1DfNLO0_Q0IL-eCLlo3dDASmdCgEwE0IDZxDVSORrRNGADM_56woLHQWEPleRYlIG6-hFwiPIWnh-hnL1OPRGTOLBqBz-JYnV3ifEtA3VJL1sA4xruYNmjcXhDTVOVGKGgnm9OE&c=g6FjVQbX9eD0dGAqpsFGlv8F9MEKexAwWInkqysBqhZVWrc1jH1F0Q==&ch=q8Fq7WKM1UtYD8pm5BT1FGshooqmpMwvqAox350W-KqWH1msp1soqQ==>

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement. For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.