[techtalk] Tech-Talk: PPT - Make Your Key Message POP with Typographic Art

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Mon Oct 2 09:16:57 PDT 2017

Greetings! Here is last week’s newsletter that arrived while I was out of the office:

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library workers is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on the Libs-OR or TechTalk mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to receive the TechTalk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon. Enjoy!

[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=2a72620b-a92a-424d-b1ce-f4b1c5f2376b&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2017 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

The State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LD4y3hCoOuNETZgdSWfZMjSYx7kgZNNmrw_tKR_YOR8qSL259g_6sXUpejh955OtrufAU6c2lV8KzJbMndg-p8ToPuUsNqKpaJ1aH5qzx8XpuXZnwno816qVXMIOWyxt8kf1FMKdsW3dsmRdZHPosQ==&c=Ic4qq43Tspo9VK5CelSPAuZqCv-bdnkk_M2wPPR1qll-H8La8BNH-w==&ch=68tB4DnFv9WHRwmUtsFN_1QAZA2aJ0q8gr8uCGjKa5sMXyTvvPvhXQ==>.

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH (case sensitive)
Contact Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/9763e732-f4c8-421c-adac-fd34a127f046.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LD4y3hCoOuNETZgdSWfZMjSYx7kgZNNmrw_tKR_YOR8qSL259g_6sXL7FnEZ8GKTYf1s60189gKU-w5QtyVEgU1pq5lkmvoYwHCdL7VhSqdcrl5cggI3lH5NdSwjcaEDajf40o44-S0xSGcOkvPm49DwFq9QvRgc9fZKOG2U598KzCgYmz67Mfkdon6rCAu5zDPRSbBRiD8jKOTusKz4WqGEeCmKXllK&c=Ic4qq43Tspo9VK5CelSPAuZqCv-bdnkk_M2wPPR1qll-H8La8BNH-w==&ch=68tB4DnFv9WHRwmUtsFN_1QAZA2aJ0q8gr8uCGjKa5sMXyTvvPvhXQ==>

 This Week's Tech-Talk: PowerPoint

1. VIDEO ...  Make Your Key Message POP with Typographic Art
2. ARTICLE ... Make Your Key Message POP with Typographic Art
3. COMMUNICATING ... A story-telling trick

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LD4y3hCoOuNETZgdSWfZMjSYx7kgZNNmrw_tKR_YOR8qSL259g_6sXL7FnEZ8GKTYf1s60189gKU-w5QtyVEgU1pq5lkmvoYwHCdL7VhSqdcrl5cggI3lH5NdSwjcaEDajf40o44-S0xSGcOkvPm49DwFq9QvRgc9fZKOG2U598KzCgYmz67Mfkdon6rCAu5zDPRSbBRiD8jKOTusKz4WqGEeCmKXllK&c=Ic4qq43Tspo9VK5CelSPAuZqCv-bdnkk_M2wPPR1qll-H8La8BNH-w==&ch=68tB4DnFv9WHRwmUtsFN_1QAZA2aJ0q8gr8uCGjKa5sMXyTvvPvhXQ==>. Enter the User Name and Password!

PPT - Make Your Key Message POP with Typographic Art

Here I am working on a PowerPoint presentation when I realize it is sooooo boring. If I don't add something to catch my viewer's eye, I will lose them. I try a fun image with some text, but it still feels blah.

Then I find a little-known technique… right in PowerPoint -- to help create very special image effects. It makes the text transparent so that an image behind it pops through. The picture shows within your text. Very cool!

[slide with POP]

There are lots of ways to use this technique when you have slides:
·     To punctuate important concepts.
·     To emphasize a critical word or two.
·     To reinforce your message with an integrated image.

You use this technique to group an image and text together so they "intersect" ... creating a slide with high impact.

BONUS! Think of this not only as a PowerPoint design option, but you can save a PPT slide as in image (.gif, .jpg or .png) that you can use in social media posts, handouts or flyers!

Two Different Techniques With This Feature

While both techniques involve "see-through" font, the first uses just the font itself; the second includes a shape (rectangle, circle, heart).

1. Using a TRANSPARENT FONT so the image in the background peeks through.

[text example]

2. Creating a COLORED SHAPE (the black rectangle) with cut out letters – that sits on top of an image.

[transparent font]

OR... a different type of shape:

[curious]

Use Transparent Fonts for Typographic Art

Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language legible, readable, and appealing when displayed.

IMPORTANT: Before we give you any instruction, ingrain this step into your head...

...don't use a text box that is already in the slide (the pre-built ones that are set up when you add a new slide to your presentation). For some reason, this feature doesn't work with those. Add a NEW text box.

The main concept to remember is that these techniques use the Merge Shapes option in PowerPoint by selecting either Fragment or Intersect.

Transparent Font in a Slide Where the Background Image Peeks Through

Here's what you do:
·     Add a new slide.
·     Delete all of the pre-built text and title boxes.
·     Go to the Insert tab and draw a NEW Text Box on your slide.
·     Type your word(s) into it. You can add more text to the slide later. These are the word(s) that you want the background picture to pop out through. Keep it short and simple for maximum impact.
·     Make the font fairly large (like 80+), and use a thick block font like Arial Black or Impact so that enough of the background of the image will show through.
·     Add your picture on the full slide by going to Insert, Picture.
·     Right-click on the picture and choose Send to back.
·     Now you can arrange the picture so that the artwork you want will show through the font. The picture doesn’t have to fill the whole slide. Focus on what part of the image you want to peek through the text. The rest of the image will not be showing.
·     Select both the image and the text by holding down the Shift key, then clicking both boxes. Make sure you see the square blocks going around both the text box and the image to see that they are both selected.

In the Example below, notice that the text box for "hungry" extends out to the side. We did this just so you could see that both the image and the text box have been selected. It also makes it easier to grab if it extends beyond the picture.

[text block]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/d032a9d6-4790-4a2f-9858-55f208a4cb26.png]

·     Go to Format tab (there may be two showing, you want the Drawing Format tab), on the Insert Shape section go to Merge Shapes and choose Intersect. Now that image will be peeking through the text.

·     Now you may want to change the background color of the slide to really make your text pop. Go the Design tab, Format Background, make sure Solid Fill is selected and pick a color. If there are background images in the slide design, check the Hide background graphics.

[color the background]

[text example]

Your text box has now become its own entity/shape. You can't edit the text, but you can move it around the slide and make it larger or smaller.

Now you can add other text boxes to your slide if you'd like (as in final slide to the right).

Add a Colored Shape with Cut Out Letters

Next we're going to create a colored Shape that has cut out letters -- that will sit on top of an image.

·     As we did above, Add a new slide.
·     Delete all of the pre-built text and title boxes.
·     Go to the Insert tab and draw a NEW Text Box on your slide.
·     Type your word(s) into it. You can add more text to the slide later. These are the word(s) that you want the background picture to pop out through. Keep it short and simple for maximum impact.
·     Make the font fairly large (like 80+), and use a block font like Arial Black or Impact so that enough of the background of the image will show through.
·     To add a colored box, go to the Insert tab and in the Illustrations section choose Shapes, and select a shape type. You can keep it clean and simple, or do something that goes with your theme like a heart, speech bubble or arrow.
·     Make sure the shape covers your text. You can right-click on the Text box and bring forward so that you can see the placement of the text on the shape (or send the shape to the back).
·     Select both the shape and the text by holding down the Shift key, then clicking both boxes. Make sure you see the square blocks going around both the text box and the image to see that they are both selected.

[add text]

[Fragment]

·     Go to Format tab, on the Insert Shape section go to Merge Shapes and choose Fragment.

·     Each of the letters will now be highlighted with boxes around them. Click outside of the boxes anywhere in your slide to de-select them. Now click on each letter outline one at a time and either hit delete, or drag the text letter out of the shape and delete -- to create the letter cut out.

·     The shape and the cut out letters are now one entity. If you want to make any changes to the text you have to go back to the first step. NOTE: This process sometimes turns the shape black. You can go to the Format tab and use Shape Fill to change the color.

[delete text shapes]

[transparent font]

·     To add an image to the background, go to the Insert tab, and select Picture. The image will cover your Typographic Art -- so right-click on the image and choose to Send to the back.

·     You can now add more elements to your slide if you wish, like additional text boxes to enhance your message (as in the image to the right).

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communicating: Story Telling
Tell stories in present tense.

Whether you're giving a presentation, writing an article for a blog or newsletters ... or even talking with your team-mates, getting your ideas across using a story is very effective.

First Paragraph for a Blog: "3 Ways to Clean Inexpensive Silver Jewelry".

I had this "silver, heart-shaped sister-pendant" that was special because it was a birthday gift from my sister -- who is now with the angels. I wore it every day. But it turned dark and tarnished and looked bad. Nothing I did helped.

Nice, right? Get's you involved to hear a story about anything. Now you want to know the solution.

Now Read This Version

I have this "silver, heart-shaped sister-pendant" that is special because it is a birthday gift from my sister -- who is now with the angels. I wear it every day. But it's turned dark and tarnished and looks bad. Nothing I do helps.

Notice the difference? The second version is in "present tense" ... even though the action happened in the past.

When you're telling a story you don't have to be exact about past and present. Talk (and write) as if it is happening NOW to give your story more appeal.

[innovation]

 CLICK HERE ... FOR THE TECH-TALK LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LD4y3hCoOuNETZgdSWfZMjSYx7kgZNNmrw_tKR_YOR8qSL259g_6sXUpejh955OtrufAU6c2lV8KzJbMndg-p8ToPuUsNqKpaJ1aH5qzx8XpuXZnwno816qVXMIOWyxt8kf1FMKdsW3dsmRdZHPosQ==&c=Ic4qq43Tspo9VK5CelSPAuZqCv-bdnkk_M2wPPR1qll-H8La8BNH-w==&ch=68tB4DnFv9WHRwmUtsFN_1QAZA2aJ0q8gr8uCGjKa5sMXyTvvPvhXQ==>
Your Membership Site!

NOTE: Forgot your user ID? See your sponsor block at the top of this email.
Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

 Do you have an idea for an article, or a problem using technology in some way...

We can help!

Just contact us and we'll get the answer for you right away. Click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LD4y3hCoOuNETZgdSWfZMjSYx7kgZNNmrw_tKR_YOR8qSL259g_6sa4uMAr_vxG0dbO4n9hca_ZA5NhsLVrvmPPlUNn4zHkh4--zXpES2JDk-efdd-SBF_LuVpVwHMYd2i_aeATMv5fCWqclGeujrhenBXKA1fkRR__DkTCfIlk=&c=Ic4qq43Tspo9VK5CelSPAuZqCv-bdnkk_M2wPPR1qll-H8La8BNH-w==&ch=68tB4DnFv9WHRwmUtsFN_1QAZA2aJ0q8gr8uCGjKa5sMXyTvvPvhXQ==>!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/464c50f5-0d77-4705-bb24-bf95437ce585.jpg]

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement. For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>