[techtalk] Tech-Talk: WEBSITE - $1 Pictures Keep You Safe

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Fri Oct 6 12:06:41 PDT 2017

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library workers is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on the Libs-OR or TechTalk mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to receive the TechTalk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon. Enjoy!
[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2017 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

The State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-gWsdKLent2y_bB04T4TfNTvU_vgoZi8GuFnipPU3VZU3ZScN7HB_PVRE_rQbiPuyoBQv_9WfuBPhb9PYnGrrbln71lpE6qEvQ==&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>.

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH (case sensitive)
Contact Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/9763e732-f4c8-421c-adac-fd34a127f046.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-j8D7tSQsRydBWrKFPoFoprmYvvWmhh9HIXAS3BQQPCFqpdifoQNqgvYY8kv499N0konqr-jIxFnzfTb989Xa41sjO3fPTOKeGKGTqEehMSAey105lCRc88NGgrYTFZCQb4c0HHl1Nk5x7KXQ8AUPFg=&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>

 This Week's Tech-Talk: Website

1. VIDEO ...  $1 Pictures Keep You Safe
2. ARTICLE ... $1 Pictures Keep You Safe
3. COMMUNICATING ... Ask Engaging Questions

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-j8D7tSQsRydBWrKFPoFoprmYvvWmhh9HIXAS3BQQPCFqpdifoQNqgvYY8kv499N0konqr-jIxFnzfTb989Xa41sjO3fPTOKeGKGTqEehMSAey105lCRc88NGgrYTFZCQb4c0HHl1Nk5x7KXQ8AUPFg=&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>. Enter the User Name and Password!

Tech-Talk: WEBSITE - $1 Pictures Keep You Safe
Intermediate

[stock photo]

True story ... I'm working with a colleague on her blog about the recent eclipse. She was excited and told me she found the perfect image online to use in the post.

The problem was, she just grabbed ... without paying for it. She didn't have permission!

Oh, my gosh ... that can be a big deal. The guardians of photographers and their stock images can be quite diligent (and rightfully so.)

You may be asking, "do they really watch?" Sure, and with "reverse image search" capability now, stock photo companies have employees whose job is to find image violators.

In the end she was fined over $700! If she had purchased it in the beginning, it would have cost less than $45. (It was a high-end, really nice image.) What a bummer!

You don't need this to happen to you because there is a great stock photo site with images for just 1$. You'll be legal, compliant and respectful of the photographer. The site is "www.123rf.com<http://www.123rf.com>".

We need images all the time for things like flyers, social media posts, web pages, etc… And it's tempting to think you could get them free on the web. However, it may come back and bite you if you use a copyrighted image without permission!

Yes, there are a number of no-cost image sites available (see our Tech-Talk article<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-j8D7tSQsRydOG05sLqPou1hQ4UiFXepw6l9wJWqcwXd8CgZwkrFZmEGfXLNRlSoEMmcXOepmlRXcJVU-C-l-Bgtq-h6RpWh_L64sdZCqqa7DL9vJniXC6qHrZdOJW6o9hsjrtkadsh6EqKJKB3hX6NuYRb5_Q_PEA==&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>). They're great. And depending on the importance of what you are creating, you may want ... more elaborate, high-end or concept-based (e.g. success, frustrated, expansive) images.

That's when it's good to know about low-cost websites such as www.123rf.com<http://www.123rf.com>.

Searching For Images

The other day we were looking for a cute Halloween image to use in a flyer. It's a children's party so we didn't want anything "scary" looking. And we didn't want to rummage around the free sites. We needed something dependable, quickly.

On the very first page of results (based on our keywords), we found several, high-quality image possibilities.

[Halloween image]

This website appears to get better with time. We've seen an increase in new and fresh images on a regular basis (they say about 60,000 per day!).

Plus, you can use the search filters to narrow down the results so that you can find specifically what you need. For instance, you can sort by file type, image orientation (horizontal, vertical) or colors.

You can imagine, with a Halloween theme, that "blue" would not be a typical search. But when we used the color sort feature, we found these stunning images.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/00f2dd8b-8de1-46bf-a7bf-d66eab59531d.png]

When you purchase stock photos, you do not own the copyright, but have purchased the rights to use that content legally without additional fees. You pay for the image once, and you're free to use it as many times as you want. If you're wondering about what the "rf" stands for, it's "royalty free".

You pick the size / resolution before downloading. For instance...

·     A standard web quality image (72 dpi) is 1 credit (~$1)
·     A standard larger web or print quality (300 dpi) is 3 credits (~$3/image)

We find that using the 72 dpi / 1 credit size works really well in web-based situations.

NOTE: Once you've selected an image, be sure to change the size to the one YOU want. (The default is set to "4 credits".)

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/8035b9c7-356d-462d-b97e-323926acb9d3.png]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communicating: Engaging People
Ask engaging questions.

Would you like to have more engagement in your meetings? Want more people to participate? Would you like ideas to come from everyone, not just a few?

Even if you are not the person in charge of the meeting, you can engage people. You can ask an open-ended question of others in the group.

For instance, I bet you have a few quiet ones in your group who don't volunteer their ideas, right? They may have been harboring some "killer" ideas.

Ask them a question ... making sure it's open-ended. What a powerful tool! It's a "bringing-in" activity.

So instead of saying, "Are there any more questions?" or "Does anyone have another idea?"...

... ask, "Jennifer, what do you think about this?" "Joe, how do you feel about what has been suggested?" "Mika, tell us what you have on your mind."

[innovation]

 CLICK HERE ... FOR THE TECH-TALK LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-gWsdKLent2y_bB04T4TfNTvU_vgoZi8GuFnipPU3VZU3ZScN7HB_PVRE_rQbiPuyoBQv_9WfuBPhb9PYnGrrbln71lpE6qEvQ==&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>
Your Membership Site!

NOTE: Forgot your user ID? See your sponsor block at the top of this email.
Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

 Do you have an idea for an article, or a problem using technology in some way...

We can help!

Just contact us and we'll get the answer for you right away. Click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rb9mMOLAvWQyz9EcqkCU4JReud7p44H39yD80cQDP-vS0Rri1qQq-tFldX1siRmqGmgC89N0ZgPlsAnaNyjvXjTu4JudGZqJd-Z5CPs2MWv3QnqjuHHpFZo7LjD3BBR1jz3AzPKqlpFB9HLCCSglKBV1X-xDiAzTvqknEbo6o3o=&c=xQI5I3V7t08Ziezx69gDE3nOBgKjKuV89lvSweRKvC77Q4PClCQlkg==&ch=qveTJC8mDRhQD8LuhNVPzgK8D3hsiL7ePbKYXZyIy4yMBBAGJu5rCQ==>!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/464c50f5-0d77-4705-bb24-bf95437ce585.jpg]

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement. For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>