[techtalk] GRAPHCS - Part 2: An Image & Video Editor and More (SnagIt)

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Aug 17 16:10:30 PDT 2021

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
Do more with your screen captures and images

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/470df2da-b8fb-4b32-95fb-8f6331e9910d.png]

This Week's Topic: GRAPHICS

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ... Part 2: An Image & Video Editor and More (SnagIt)
2. COMMUNICATING ... "May I tell him / her who is calling?!"
3. LEADERSHIP ... Seek First to Understand (Stephen Covey)
4. WEBINARS ...
·     Aug 18: [OFFICE] Add Speed & Polish When Working with Office Documents
·     Sep 15: [COMM.] Write Professionally to Convince and Be Understood
·     Sep 29: [WEBSITES] HotJar, a Free Tool to Analyze Website Traffic

Register for Webinars<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT2qvFQtaPHzCCtFIEHw5ndIHRkbkkvA-nJ588tTeXfHlkrlBDuY8xA35twoMrcOimXfYJPlFHln0UqgXjbv0oFth0Zwkrul3jiTmJAvtqiNH&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

[SnagIt video]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHTxksbBSOb35_ukotEhKcyImT6hnPlOqxQFJ2Nknv0pIijXOTGBzpGwmHfwXSpfH1iC2zsNgmr0NiMdhRvGOiiYeq_ZVedmQhYzyihQmvrp0O4WITyWYmRfxAY9JD3edsZMYMgvr1ZjZrhaNdB_quwuJc3UYRdN4MwHbnFgJ5Tt_4&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

Photo by Marvin Kuhn<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHTxksbBSOb35_ASjt44RJ1IWxhhwu9BfCu2uZn1F4eLCIHbvuLEfbHj0JoJDc2fmV1yFCeAwbhBBSlt3F1ykolDdkb_xcQGHMvzi9RcYCStOwQlw_zYv6sK5P89C8Gcc1GYWUtVLnQkx_U-3JefJzi1Y_7eaRouFc2m4EUh9dGYOKfLd0xx_Esh4S4TSiNRciiTCHh3N4QUFsTlJKMm9PjPU=&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHTwkR0T2o4lwOyyi2sJ_j9e4Vlfmp0jdopp7fBgNqFeJOMHa5Hvy9RPb0E0o3HzQA_qMiXozOUEY4dzk9hAFjWXIA3D-UAyPGJCSMNlCmNGmU-dt6wLp2xgminCOBBNcWuqF0Y2mYhyeTW6CwGcx8rpay6xWrWtEo2G10WZWDbCtIBQAZ6SCz5y1axpQ2SsazJRgsE0fxcI41ikguADe8A0zGTMuDkLm1AQ==&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/0d8d9949-72db-4dd7-857e-095da7ef74bf.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT_FZGA_Ce-UFPNwrB5cos_jZxm3jLkNNKjMj341tyIohcJuzJo8SeoAvvZ7FPCp3fGj_SfM4-sI684m_vQZRYpIRjjoUfOgcjeXZmV4MQad0&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

GRAPHICS - Part 2: An Image & Video Editor and More (SnagIt)
Intermediate

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/a419ffc0-a4b7-42d9-a3d6-fee2c20a6b51.png]

Do you need to edit images (crop or re-size) or take screenshots of your computer? Then the light-weight software called SnagIt by TechSmith is a great option! It has a small learning curve, but is filled with power-packed features. We use this little tool all day long!

In this TWO-PART article, we're focusing on AFTER you've taken a snag or when you need to edit an image (crop, re-size, etc...).

In last week's tip, we looked at Part 1, An Image and Video Editor and More… (Tips 1-4). Review this article with these editing tips by going to this page<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHTxwF3A91HmJPF9Y6x8Olj8ziTeDA3XSUFwgOvUAqBNk92-PmcTc9tPA-9x_tVoUa1edaAgobV01RD448QuIyZL2mSmstTfdks7V663t8O9SlRk2KRCYasA9tNYfFAoBKntLPWp9qWqDLcmezDlm5RmSxPSlUm8kiCiyR4eT7QNes&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>.

There you'll see...

1. Move and Remove Parts of the Image with Autofill
2. Add Callouts: arrows, shapes and speech bubbles
3. Use the Step tool to document workflows or a series of steps
4. Blur or pixelate sensitive parts of an image

In Part 2 below, we'll dive deeper and show you how to:

5. Swap specific colors with the replacement tool
6. Rearrange items in your screenshot with Smart Move
7. Use Perspective to view your image at a different angle
8. Customize the Ribbon and create Quick Styles to get to your favorites faster

BONUS! Use the Grab Text feature to extract text from an image and paste into a document.

The SnagIt Editor – Take Your Captures to a Different Level

5. Swap Specific Colors with the Replacement Tool

You can change the color of certain parts of your image with the Color Replacement tool.

TIP: The best outcome of this is when you have a solid shade. If there is some gradation of color it doesn’t work as well.

[replace color]

·     With your image open, in the Effects menu on the right (if it is not showing, use the Effects toggle button at the bottom) click the Color Replacement Tool.

[change background color]

·     Click the left color patch (the color that you want to replace) and use the color picker to mouse over the color shade in the image you want to replace to select it.

·     Then go back to the Color Replacement tool and click the color patch on the right and change it to the new color you’d like to display.

6. Rearrange Items in your Screenshot with Smart Move

When you take a snag or image capture, it is brought into the editor as a flat image. However, you can use the Move tool to rearrange parts of your image based on what SnagIt detects.

·     Click on your image and in the top toolbar go to Move (it may be under More).
·     In the Tool Properties window to the right toggle the Smart Move to ON.
·     SnagIt will analyze the image and will highlight objects that are editable.
·     When you hover your mouse over the image, you'll see parts of the image will have anchor points. They can be selected so that you can move, resize or delete them.
·     If when you mouse over an area that has text it shows the letter "A" -- that means it has detected the text and made it editable. You can click in the area and type new text.
·     If it did not detect all of the pieces that you want, use the Detail setting in the Smart Move menu to increase the level of details (the higher the number, the more detailed the items it will select).
·     TIP: Always view the image at 100% so that it doesn’t look blurry or distorted (especially text).

[smart move]

7. Use Perspective to View Your Image at a Different Angle

This is a simple technique to add more of a 3-D look to an image. You can change the perspective to make it appear to be slanted left or right, up or down. We typically use this on items like book covers, posters, etc… images with a flat look that you want to give some depth to.

[change perspective]

·     With your image open, in the Effects pane click on Perspective.

·     Use the slide bar next to Horizontal or Vertical.

·     Add a Shadow or Border (if desired).

·     Click Apply.

·     SnagIt will typically make the outside area of the image transparent. You can change the canvas color if you want by going to the main menu, under Image select Canvas Color and select a shade.

8. Customize the Ribbon and Create Quick Styles to Get to Your Favorites Faster

You can create custom styles like arrows, shapes, callouts … and save frequently used tools to your Favorites.

[quick styles]

·     First, to create a custom style, edit one of the basic items, like an arrow, to be the color, width, etc… that you prefer.

·     When you're done, you'll see a shape in the menu that has a border around it and an overlay of color. Click the + button to add it to your Quick Styles.

·     If you also want it saved as a Favorite, click the Star in the upper right corner so that it turns yellow and it will save as a Favorite.

·     If you want to add a Quick Style to a different Theme, draw the shape in your canvas, switch to the other theme, right click on top of it and choose Add to Quick Styles.

[quick styles]

BONUS! Use The Grab Text Feature to Extract Text from an Image and Paste Into A Document

This feature lets you grab (or capture) text or extract it from images so you can copy and paste it into another document to use.

·     To grab text, open the SnagIt selection window, click the Image option on the left, and under Selection choose Grab Text.

·     Click the red Capture button and select the area on your screen with the text that you want.

[grab text]

[grab text]

SnagIt will analyze the capture and a window will open with the text results for you to copy and paste to use in another location. NOTE: If the font used in the snagged test is not on your computer, Snagit will substitute it with something similar.

If the text you want to grab is in an image on your computer (not something you snagged) you can still use the grab text feature.

·     Open the image in the SnagIt editor and go to the Edit menu at the top left of the screen and choose Grab Text. Or, right-click on top of the image and select Grab Text.

·     Copy the text from the window into another document to use.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/bd0c6ef5-be46-4288-9477-6bc0d1c48d5c.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT63RIZi0wog1BWmor_u_NURAiHiUQ4ngmJVmuKZh4J2Q_sS5gJuXNNN_JTsTZWoE98U1WmomKF4Qf2KIIkeNCkXdRhXliIFGpLIs0TgAZ8LK&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>
How do YOU feel about Tech-Talk? Many of you send us notes, which we appreciate! Now you can let others know too .. so they can decide if Tech-Talk is for them. Thanks!
Leave a Review<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT63RIZi0wog1BWmor_u_NURAiHiUQ4ngmJVmuKZh4J2Q_sS5gJuXNNN_JTsTZWoE98U1WmomKF4Qf2KIIkeNCkXdRhXliIFGpLIs0TgAZ8LK&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communication: Phone
"May I tell him / her who is calling?!"

Have you ever been slightly irritated when calling someone when you're asked, "Who's calling?" You know they're screening the calls. It can make you feel that if you don't say the right thing, you might not get through. Or that they’re being curious.

Even hearing, "May I ask who is calling?" can be off-putting. Sure, screening is important and there's a way to do it that makes everyone happy.

Here's a better way…

First, say "Yes" (or "No") to the question "Is so-and-so there?" Giving the caller a true answer to his question shows respect. Then say, "May I tell her / him who is calling?"

Note the key word here is "tell."

Using "may I tell him..." not only lets you know who is calling ... you convey that you have a legitimate purpose for asking ... which is to tell the "callee" who is on the line.

If the caller says, "I'd like to speak to so-and-so," you could say "Sure" and continue with, "May I tell her / him who is calling?" You'll always get a respectful and informative answer.

Now suppose you are given the directive to answer calls and not let anyone through for a period of time. You can modify your answer a bit. Try, "He's not taking calls at the moment." or "She's not in the office now" followed by "May I tell him who called?" This way you are better able to facilitate a connection between the two of them if needed.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
See First To Understand (Stephen Covey)

The rapid increase in podcasting has us listening to a great deal of other people's ideas. So when we're using these recordings, it's a one-way communication. We don't even have a chance to butt-in or reply. We just listen. Usually, we do it to understand what is being said.

That works well until we bring another person into the picture. Most folks know of the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective Leaders by Stephen Covey. Habit #5 starts with: "Seek first to understand."

We all know it is important to understand what someone else is saying to us, but we too often rush to telling our opinions, our ideas, our intentions. It's seldom instinctive for us to START with understanding. But if we did, what could it do for us?

How different would the world be, would work be, would our interpersonal relationships be… if the first thing we did in a conversation was to try to understand?

Here are some ideas of how to make that happen:

·     Pause before you start to reply, taking in what has been said.
·     Listen actively to what others are saying, rather than preparing what you’ll say.
·     Ask questions … probing, clarifying … with sincerity.
·     Put yourself in the other person’s shoes. Be empathetic.

Give yourself time to truly understand.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT206YNa3PM5bWpxP_eresXmDPKbalSJAZKmvColnaH2Mc3fX05BdkEb9QO2iIRsz877WDBagc3PDvoEx-TzRs8A9UegT8_Ym9f9yybNajSGF&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XJ6xthznR0WaT2MlLsbCLRgTuxOuhj18bEcl7tRa0BS25BsIhMQHT-vLHUkJjRldmUDsh95oJv92SZfbF2weBHBFzExFcSgQaLeoPpJHw2eUu0ePAIHkvcjCM4xE5nSy6wdYozelrY-0AU3A4YTzhefIHWGg2dsEkx3RaMOVLrY=&c=LRT9VV_OxWcHUrU7_5YyUU5rjZNEE4hhlpNh4aos5jxzWj9faMs0fQ==&ch=25HInhf0mM8TvoMBMs82mN4pyZI1UtrYGRsw2tMNasN39a6-oEX4ew==>

Copyright 1996-2021 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.