[techtalk] EXCEL - Hide One or More SHEETS within a Workbook

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Jul 27 14:43:12 PDT 2021

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
For privacy and safety

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/470df2da-b8fb-4b32-95fb-8f6331e9910d.png]

This Week's Topic: EXCEL

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ... Hide One or More SHEETS within a Workbook
2. COMMUNICATING ... What's better than "but"?
3. LEADERSHIP ... Asking first before you give feedback

4. WEBINARS ...
·     Aug 4: [GRAPHICS] 8 Ways in SnagIt to Improve Your Image Captures
·     Aug 18: [OFFICE] Add Speed & Polish When Working with Office Documents
·     Sep 29th: [WEBSITES] HotJar, a Free Tool to Analyze Website Traffic

Register for Webinars<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73NQJXMpE8XaxGqeaa6ox3Z5IqWcShz6R7OJDaOvXb2Iw4VzVYWOHeViGEHpZoh7mRc6W8KVcqXf7Szcpy-aHElTwo94dJAzLR1m3SP4k6h5lf&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>

[summer drinks]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73Nb0nWz4Ep0iPFxl7kVppQKHbiverA-OP6OBYF1K2O7qHQdpZO4E1hKisyRdzMisOaHCJwzB56hLFvYsEE9zSVhxpgejyUhtYGMAa--Pmm8jb9gUITXoVl8F-1C12c4RexrNmR_VcuTk0GHRGLMIYqOqNMbZf2jw7jg==&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>

Photo by Kaizen Nguyễn<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73Nb0nWz4Ep0iPHzTkUcJ-nHfKJeMpj7eZ8H-Ni8Owy03etn-bIQVo8inJZC2JKj9vb4-CCaL1-BhctsL5_R756tXLAuLk0C3di_nnPXrdgHtx7xLRtDjcMsv5Zt4f74rg_QgZ0yDi09SczuwYjGfVXYc-hmPMcbdFD5R_Q5IJ0tfTVchvy45jvjtY10mO-P0-cWOmnjk9Ks_tazyLn7fsbR0=&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73NXvAPSpv6z-xsp6vHJ8HIdz9UbpHm9gAtLj5-se9mWA3ABKDwpOYvpItu9q3AnkFCSZMVnUd75OVRZkv_2lRND03iNl-zWhE4Ey7wOi_q9LYKkk9tMAP_MaZaqNpyu0xiFNhN6DCFm8mr4a5COyOs2jiAm4Ny_CqKsLUpXlTsEyfdKaPqF2rrLLXzbb6vavdF0mjydVpBTLjDmVIUl0jmLMPo_JnrgXpJA==&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/0d8d9949-72db-4dd7-857e-095da7ef74bf.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73Ney_c0ZtXi9jBYLuzoE9MFRUjE-_4D-KjVJgQcc9yKfJqiJHRHqecIcCTwtABgbYXPMDeRtyYji9A1qn3NQwKpEmUhVjdRKofdfdK7lroc9c&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>

EXCEL - Hide One or More SHEETS within a Workbook
Intermediate

I have an Excel workbook that has 12 different sheets (tabs), one for each month of the year. They each contain open statistics of email sent for the specific month.

[sheets]

It's convenient for me to keep all of the stats in one file. But when I share the Excel doc with my team, I want the focus to be on the current month. So I use this trick: I simply "hide" the other sheets in the workbook. This way I don't need to maintain 12 different monthly files.

TIP: Remember, a Workbook is the whole Excel document. It can contain multiple Worksheets (often referred to as Sheets or Tabs) within it.

Here's another example. Perhaps you use one workbook for a project that contains a lot of supplemental data that is referenced in one cumulative sheet that contains charts or graphs. So that it is not distracting when you share the file with others, you can use the "hide" feature to conceal the supporting data without messing up/disconnecting the data cell references.

You see, when you this technique of making individual sheets not visible, the connection is still made there if there is any linked (referenced) content from other worksheets or workbooks.

How to Hide One or More Sheets in an Excel Workbook

[hide a sheet]

When you want to hide a sheet (or sheets) within your workbook:

·     Right-click the sheet/tab you want to hide.

·     From the options, choose Hide.

·     Or, to select multiple sheets at once, press and hold the CTRL key then click on each sheet that you want to hide to select them. Right-click and choose Hide.

Alternatively, when you're in the tab you want to hide, in the ribbon, on the Home tab, go to the Cells group and click on the down arrow under Format. Here in the Visibility section, choose Hide/Unhide, then Hide Sheet.

To Unhide Hidden Sheets in an Excel Workbook

[unhide a sheet]

When you're ready to view any hidden sheet(s):

·     Go to any sheet in the workbook, right-click and select Unhide.

·     In the dialog box that opens, select a sheet (or hold down the SHIFT key to select multiple) and click OK.

IMPORTANT: This is a method to hide a sheet, but it is not locked or protected. If other Excel users that you share the file with know how to unhide sheets, they can access them. You can "protect" the content in the cells or a whole sheet so that others cannot make changes. See this Tech-Talk article for the steps<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73NT9HgkyqkwBlTA1Gd_vqNjQReRXOVUz7t6twxopjTWR9RM1pc-asmhiEq4RNnVlj2xxeX2kybaBWRbR-LSaVy7gKHFR0Q5mSeivYTmRGmA4SI5BirIb6ZHOF1Tu0zRk8kZBd9vQebZUXUbTyl8nMujlcBjsj7CuO3A==&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>.

How to Hide and Unhide Sheets in Google Sheets

NOTES:
·     Hiding a sheet is not the same as protecting a sheet.
·     All spreadsheet editors can unhide and view these sheets.
·     Spreadsheet viewers can't see hidden sheets. If someone makes a copy of the spreadsheet, the sheets will stay hidden, but they'll be able to unhide the sheets.

[hide a sheet]

To Hide a Sheet:

·     Click the sheet you want to hide.

·     On the sheet tab at the bottom, click the Down arrow and choose Hide sheet.

To Unhide a Sheet:

·     Different than Excel, from the menu, go to View and choose Hidden sheets. (if nothing is hidden, this will be grayed out.)

·     Choose the sheet name that you want to unhide.

[hide sheet]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communication: Talking
What's better than "but"?

How many times in a conversation (or in writing) do you start a sentence with the word "But"? We often use it to interject a new idea.

Try using the word "and" instead ... even if you do mean "but" (as you are disagreeing with someone's thought).

You'll find that this technique softens the interjection so your words will be treated with more receptivity.

Be on the lookout for your "buts." Convert them to "and" or "so."

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
Ask before giving feedback.

Do you think you may have inadvertently squashed someone's great idea by giving unsolicited feedback?

Sometimes, in an effort to be helpful, people jump in with suggestions before they've laid the groundwork for being heard. They rush to share how things could be different ... how they could be better.

For example...

·     Karen: "Take a look at the brochure I created for the upcoming book signing event."
·     Sue: "It's great, but it would be better with a blue background."

Try asking if they want your feedback first.

·     Karen: "Take a look at the brochure I created for the upcoming book signing event."
·     Sue: "It's great! Do you want to know one thing that I think would make it even more fabulous?"
·     Karen: "Sure."
·     Sue: "Try making the background blue instead of yellow as I think the text would be easier to read."

Asking first can go a long way in sparing feelings, and getting your opinion heard.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73Ne2XnTJudUO8zTB4ySqyWKZFePvlZyhVE8hbSw8zW-SNyNQ4vwOq6cQGey2FBmVV94hrc28WthlIFh-4-tNFTJG-fvXvNYjJcEcLGj4fYbpF&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001uuWIsFwvcL5IlGDB9LgGE8TZLfPxYqqG_8V4-dZL26BhNpBQ6Z73NZzPXDQg_KnVbOqBvW4sYEG_alhhDH8F9W3BgVBDE2ptsBW9OUTQmKMekgNAYE-j2f8_SQ_6GIspeCUTyHMtcAJPsuq8aVzrrvewScfYMYZReM4aSz5HLMY=&c=CafigRhd7DfRVujELxzb0IhqWbKPwLOTzoEt0TaQJnCVGuyib_Kbag==&ch=ACPGCFwYwbOQza2XDkgAm0ckNa86cVfa_oF2GCbQv0fTPIigmltVjA==>

Copyright 1996-2021 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

[cid:image001.png at 01D782F5.3A6CDB90]<https://www.northwestdigitalheritage.org/>      [cid:image002.png at 01D782F5.3A6CDB90]