[techtalk] DESKTOP - Prevent Data Loss: 5 Ways to Back up Individual Computers

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Sep 19 14:03:51 PDT 2023

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon>, use ORLIBTECH
for both the username and password when prompted.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.
Make sure you have a backup plan

[Tech-Talk 27 years]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/928f4a77-52d6-4250-a4ee-d0609e0ab6c3.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDaDUhqQ_jFwhr_Qy4WhPl3CTvXtitsBBBkb3JvBfOmRHDNvXP2-kREvaGKiEr93tPPpRdvWvfLkbZl_fr4jJQca5aS4L1aoUYXh5X9zR3kyvruoxtAmM21edm_HsJZYA_eGlpAbBlqf3TLTH1VReR_M=&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>

Photo by Nuno Antunes<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDaDUhqQ_jFwhuRM0o_tYBh4jX3oJ4dw9rgCoL-V7ngoB8i8hC92SZxjRTV_hYabni5mHOEKmVn19VBGzSIEJ7kYTcsrVHdIH17hHYGlge6gfuHgZyaQpzCD_a_lVq1FyukNZWrjRMb9hzvSmZSpyRs8C2nWshoeute3zspZMatd0NCpGLco9EfUeSqyT2VksklYZXw1PWn_h&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDaDUhqQ_jFwhlruN7dY4uywZ-HXU8VLU8RRdha5Z70eJSTzhbX_jvDXuof5KhpCf8FqpA3i5X_op9Bk6b6R4ADPhBg20BCe-Y6c1qjufc6MSO0dMc-35MvK73Ipi8f5Sr9dCkqGU1IVWKZVp5fDYB5wGgmZ5Kmt5H16bx9H-oRqfvNhnZnFoxO9nKBzy5SvjJ2jKsoj2zQc9XG8TBZa2XLD7p3PNEXkdpw==&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDX2DJOc6sj-lF9uIzLS7xkVjW5KZ53T1BnujqgO1Xf0HPiz6sVHkQl1QQ5XpWqsWnnyKyR7Fp1DCNnmTaXFfksV8fPZM7dNMsbWZKTEnaMGK&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>

Webinars for You

·    Sep 27: [FAVORITES -PART 2] Formatting Docs, Spreadsheets, Quirky Challenges: Productivity Tips [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    Oct 11: [VIDEO] Creating Simple Tool Kits Using Three-Minute Video Tutorials [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    Oct 25: [GRAPHICS] From Still to Thrill: Create Moving Images That Will Bring Your Content to Life [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

View Webinars and Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDZhIEG-Uc40zW9AVWSzqYvFJkhpzu6GHpWGTu_rF78k5Qnvzf8XIv2k4jRPnskohAEaUjOH3jeybftTdNzOr-PEYcJYTw4MIhtqGLSktXAfd&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>

DESKTOP - Prevent Data Loss: 5 Ways to Back up Individual Computers

Intermediate

[damaged computer]

A while back I spilled a cup of coffee on my laptop keyboard. Urg! It fried the system, and the computer was unsalvageable.

They say it's not "if" your computer will die, but "when."

In my situation, I didn't panic because of the thought of losing the files, videos, and presentations I had created. Fortunately, I had previously put a solid backup plan in place. You never want to be without one!

Backing up your computer is crucial to protect you from losing important data due to many things… hardware failures, data corruption/viruses, or other unforeseen events (as in my case).

In addition, if your computer hard drive is getting full, you'll need a backup solution to move the older, less frequently needed files to free up space.

Depending on your situation there are several effective ways to backup your valuable files.

What is Your Computer Setup?

Before we go through several backup options, you'll want to think about your situation:

At Work:
·    Does your organization already have a backup plan/guidelines in place?
·    Are you supposed to save files to a company drive instead of on your device?
·    Do you use OneDrive or Google products that are backed up to the cloud automatically?

What to Do: Check with your IT department to learn about your options to make sure your files are safe.

At Home:
·    If you have a home desktop or laptop computer, do you currently back up your data? Is it convenient and affordable?
·    Are you backing up to a cloud source (like Dropbox), an external hard drive, or a cloud-based automated tool like Carbonite (see below)?
·    Do you "work at home" -- meaning you have a home office or work virtually full or part-time? If so, can you access your files from any location?

Whether you have data on devices at work or at home, it's important to have a backup plan so your files are secure and retrievable if the unexpected happens. We'll show you some choices that you have.

Computer Backup Options

Let's look at some backup choices that may work for your situation including some pros and cons for each. We've grouped them into five main categories.

1. Platform-based Options

The trend in the industry is moving all files (documents, spreadsheets, videos, pictures, etc.) to online/cloud storage. These include tools you probably already use such as:

[platform options]
·    Google Drive ... Docs, Sheets, Slides, Email, Calendar.
·    Microsoft OneDrive ... Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.
·    iCloud if you're a Mac or iPhone user.

Pros: You get real-time backup and file versioning, accessibility from any device, and collaboration features.

Cons: There can be limited storage capacity with free plans, they are not designed primarily for backing up ALL of your file types, and you need to have an Internet connection to access your files.

2. File Sharing Services That Can "Sync"

Instead of saving data to your computer, you can store your files on servers "in the cloud". You also have a copy on your desktop which is continually "synced" with the cloud service. You can access the backed-up documents from any device when you're logged in as they are available online. This option makes it easy to collaborate with others when you have shared access to the online files and folders.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/6b8882b9-3481-4876-a289-966134d91f4f.png]

Some popular choices include:

·    Dropbox.com
·    Box.com
·    Egnyte.com

Pros: These services save all types of files, sync right from your desktop, and are accessible from any device. Easily collaborate, edit, and share content with team members.

Cons: There are ongoing subscription costs and you are reliant on an Internet connection to access files.

3. Cloud Backup Services

[cloud backup]

Different from the file sync option above, cloud backup services connect to your computer and run regular backups for you. Based on a designated schedule that you set up, your computer files are sent to the off-site/online backup company.

Incremental backup choices are also an option so that every time you make a change to a document on your computer, it is backed up instantly. A copy of your data is stored securely on their remote servers. In case of disaster, you can restore your files from the cloud backup to your computer.

These services include companies like:

·    Carbonite.com
·    IDrive.com
·    Blackblaze.com

Pros: Great for home use. You just set it and forget it! Backups run based on your established schedule (e.g. daily, every other day, weekly, etc.). All types of files are saved and you can access your data from any device if needed.

Cons: There is an ongoing subscription cost and reliance on Internet services to back up files in the cloud.

4. External Hard Drive or SSD

If you want to save your files to a device connected to your computer in your home or office without the need for Internet access, you can use an external hard drive or SSD (Solid State Drive). Usually, these devices have built-in backup software so that you can set up a schedule (like nightly at 6 p.m. for example).

When purchasing an external hard drive, here are some considerations:

·    Type of Hard Drive - There are two main types of external hard drives:

·    HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) - Typically more affordable and offer larger storage capacities, however, are slower and more susceptible to physical damage due to moving parts.

·    SSDs (Solid-State Drives) - Faster, and more durable (no moving parts), but tend to be more expensive for the same capacity. They are a good choice for faster backups and extra data protection.

·    Storage capacity - Determine how much data you need to back up and leave room for future growth.
·    Backup software compatibility - Select an external drive that comes with backup software to simplify the setup process and automate the backup.
·    Power source - Some external hard drives draw power from the computer via USB while others require an external power source.
·    Encryption and security - If you're concerned about data security, look for drives that offer hardware or software-based encryption to protect your data in case the drive is lost or stolen.

Pros: There is a one-time (very affordable) cost and offers fast data transfer without an Internet connection.

Cons: This is a piece of equipment that needs to be connected to your computer. It can be vulnerable to physical damage, malfunction or theft.

TIP: You can transfer files to other hardware like a USB flash drive or CD to move data from one device to another, but this is not an efficient, regular backup method.

[backup]

5. Hybrid Approaches

Most likely you will be combining multiple backup methods. In today's world, it is typical for the average user to work with data on many platforms.

[backup]

For instance, I have files saved in Google Drive, Dropbox, and on my computer. I use Carbonite to back up my computer's local files. In addition, I have an external hard drive where I save older documents as my computer storage space is filling up.

Regardless of the method(s) you choose, set up a regular automated backup schedule to ensure your data is consistently protected.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Self

Think about "no" differently

No one likes to hear a "no" when we suggest something, right? You may ask for a favor or invite someone over. Whatever it is, hearing no feels like an ending.

While it's not always easy, consider reshaping your thoughts about getting a no.

Instead of being disappointed, think of the answer in a positive way because life is always a forward movement.

"Every no is a yes for going in a new direction."

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDdxNVwXh0xJGV9tsogb8tNkiLLWMB86HBlGAfSh0gyNBRRmEAtTq-wCfdtOR3mMxwWN72J_NCmWJRyI2A4KyonifTHxxCs6HhfsDaiXYa1kg&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001En18_8Rq3L9IcSn8h_9Pbs9ZUebLq2wota-D9syJDloxyuB0qUuFDSbcw975NG68cxnPjmIBiqm6BcREKorrUNDR9FLFu43Se9ivDYGxL0G-HCOStweQ9pWFQMweKPNMA0yjp1wANdDYpzvILqsUgSEU6KEK2q9QCxFWKpq5KqI=&c=6mEJKSH0qL79vVo3j8CrMA9hqalZqKbL3iMSVoP785T-A6ZopWHHIQ==&ch=GYEuvFQkiLmk9rJ3R-yH-PaYHLnP_LlH_Au1QIVw5VJFp5VZchV9Fw==>

Copyright 1996-2023 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01D9EB01.920499D0]