[techtalk] OUTLOOK - Which Version is It? It Makes a Difference!

HANNING Darci * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Aug 28 07:56:56 PDT 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon>,
use ORLIBTECH for both the username and password when prompted.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.
There are multiple types of Outlook accounts

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[Colored pencils arranged in a circular pattern with their tips pointing inward. A red button with the text "View the Tech Tip Video Here" is placed over the center.]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsE4do-Twd3ZnmYf8Gjy7e-RJ7S-S718A5VwLAu0nhVhlNrGswnhXWEaNwI6TiuVhptSFS7xksTegbQsLwywEsMpH_zxBeNAOJnGA7kX9WEcidoH-GB1Z-NywEtHy_1iGAIaSbJupJ8mBREJAkc1kNKeAgljIOGAH2g==&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

Photo by Agence Olloweb<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsE4do-Twd3ZntI4SBX0C2s6bESHkh_R_lQ47otK3fQE3_8OJ-16uFblyPxsgLOuRN_hfMmd3gOusY8XfmsFYNfC_h1K03-xEaZ9XbpMCjzJhX_cGS6p1HhxIMS_YFjsdUMMxofHZaxorTR4myXf7hIL5vyLhFKcMGsnL_AStrPRrZzO1FJ-5GxXa25LzTWpcyMOCjG7TzQ1fxODkiW1AvjQ=&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==> on Unsplash<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsE4do-Twd3ZnG75kp2mvSDO4s0jI-bXvyl1wzXHO2UNAy2IYbJuUVRcxCWSo5pmJ46MMPIgXoOuqCRtpk5Ro9XVkSPK-B8o30iSqkCETo4yWK7C5Hjo_0PMYsLXWY4zyw3L-ASaMc2HHmdWv-nVgsGkKT7GEs-TGabq1cCP10VB8mXTKGjLs1cVWH3gY1Ui0NJeQPLUkPs4a2KVguAJjGdnIyT99XwQyar0eYBIPgYYoj0CIK5diu3gdg1d-2ymbmQ==&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsOSCN47vx0BWcfRogvYZchZc-aX_RPm-I97KGYYMG5nO8QTnV_ZxIbcHk8ofGv27fMTn_KW93Qcdxc8o3LRyT4OY7T-g6b68BojKgwh5kR1i&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

Webinars for You

NOTE: All webinars begin at 3 pm ET / 2 pm CT / 1 pm MT / 12 Noon PT and are one hour long.

·     September 11: [WEB TOOLS] 3 Tools to Create Your Own Personal Scheduling System

·     September 25: [GRAPHICS] Make Your Own Animated Greeting Cards wiht Music and Voice

·     October 9: [WORD/Google Docs] Mastering Document Templates and Formatting

·     October 23: [GRAPHICS] Use AI Tips and Strategies to Solve Problems and Craft Perfect Text

View Webinars and Register Here<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsJl-cUBBhFUDa1RgOsKtT4rrHO9YsMB8fkvNaNh9-CkdWxROMMb2KHb6GRBOWnC2nfbUF8yrDalGGJtsQMNJWtRwEZoCBIXMZT2lUGnOkwBtB_yjL6OdTXE=&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

OUTLOOK - Which Version is It? It Makes a Difference!

Intermediate

[A person typing on a laptop keyboard with a graphic overlay of multiple email icons. One email icon has a red notification badge indicating 5 new messages. The image represents digital communication or email activity.]

Have you ever been asked, "What version of Outlook do you have?" and you didn't have a clue?

Maybe you were calling support for help or asking a colleague how to do something.

Or perhaps you want to be able to log into your Outlook email account from the Internet but weren't sure if you have a desktop-only or web-version.

You could even be helping others solve an Outlook problem or show them a new technique, but because each version of Outlook varies considerably, it's important that you now what version they have.

We've had lots of questions from Tech-talk readers about this platform. Well, don't feel uneasy, it can be difficult to determine what version of this email program you are using because there are so many!

Let's break it down so that if you want to switch to Outlook or need to just figure out the capabilities of what you're using, you can!

Types of Outlook Email Accounts

As an overview, here's a short comparison. Read on for more details.

[DESKTOP] Classic Outlook Desktop software is installed on your computer. It is part of a Microsoft Office program purchase or a Microsoft 365 subscription.

[DESKTOP] The New Outlook for Windows (free) is also software on your computer that replaces the default Windows 10 or 11 Mail app.

[WEB] Outlook.office.com, Outlook.live.com or Outlook.com are all online versions of Outlook both paid and free for work, school or personal use.

What am I Using?

To determine what type of Outlook account you have, you can follow these steps depending on whether you're using the desktop app or web version.

1. [DESKTOP] Classic Outlook Software

·     This "fully featured" software is included with many of the Microsoft Office or 365 paid subscriptions.
·     This version supports a wide range of email protocols (such as POP3, IMAP, and Exchange) and can work with various types of email accounts, such as Microsoft, Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, and others.

To view more details about your Outlook version and registered account information:

·     Open Outlook software on your desktop and go to the File tab in the top left corner and click on Office Account at the bottom.

·     In the right column you’ll see the subscription information. See image below.

[A screenshot of the Microsoft Office Account settings page. It displays user information for Deborah Davis and the subscription details for Microsoft 365 Apps for business. Various options for managing the account and office updates are also visible.]

2. [DESKTOP] The "New Outlook" – Windows Program

·     This version is installed (free) on Windows-based computers. You do not need a paid Microsoft subscription to get this.

·     The New Outlook replaces the prior Windows Mail/People/Calendar. It used to be a program simply called "Mail".

·     When you open the New Outlook platform you'll see Home, View and Help in the navigation, but NOT File.

·     It comes installed on newer Windows 11 devices, but also can be installed on Windows 10 and older Windows 11 operating systems.

·     See how to download or switch to this version from the old Mail account in this Tech-Talk article<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsKJHKEt0bH0EsX6X9RO_HFdXtXvhnlU4Fb_a7t40AAZec28jj-e-WI8CS9YyvCupt5GXqKAi0poMaMAoHCl9Xmgel-XIXUSBZ1KhTLf264EYYEgSvy4Io5tafqvUj6UkqcbS0O51N63GSNrqCpczVHhLLluruHIogg==&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>.

[Screenshot of an Outlook email interface with a red arrow pointing to the top left corner labeled "No 'File Tab'." The interface shows the "Home" tab selected, and various options like New Mail, Delete, Archive, and Report are visible.]

3. [WEB] Outlook 365

This is a paid Microsoft subscription. Depending on what type of account (work, school, personal), you will go to Outlook.office.com or Outlook.live.com to log in (outlook.com indicates a free personal account).

·     Log into your online account and click on your profile picture in the top right corner.
·     Select My (Microsoft) Account or View account.
·     This is where you can see the details about your Microsoft account, such as whether it's linked to a subscription like Microsoft 365.

[Screenshot of an Outlook email interface showing a user's inbox with a focus on the profile menu. The profile menu is highlighted on the right, displaying the user's picture, name "Deborah Davis," email address, and options to view the account or sign out.]

4. [WEB] Outlook.com

This is a free, web-based Outlook email account (similar to Gmail), with "Outlook.com" at the end.

·     It is not software on your computer, but viewed when logged in online.
·     It looks very similar to the paid web version (a little simpler with fewer features) and has ads on the right side.
·     You can link multiple email accounts to this one (home, business, etc.).
·     Interestingly, Outlook.com was formerly Hotmail.com.

[Screenshot of an Outlook inbox. The interface shows the "Home" tab with options such as New mail, Delete, Archive, and others. The inbox has a few unread emails. On the right side, there is a photo of a football player in black attire.]

[A series of smooth, dark stones arranged in a line, half-submerged in calm, reflective water with a soft, gray background.]

Communication: Listening

First, be Quiet

We all want to be heard, right? We want to be understood. We want our opinions considered. We're smart, right?

So, we rush to talk and spill our ideas. We look for ways to interject our thoughts on the subject at hand.

And even if we don't voice them (maybe we're shy or don't want to interrupt), our inner voice may be more focused on what we believe, rather than giving serious attention to what others are saying.

When we do that, we aren't actively hearing and considering.

The solution is what Stephen Covey calls, "seek first to understand".

Most of us gravitate to "seek first to be understood". It's human nature. So that's your challenge. See what you can discover, by being quiet first. Speaking later.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsIS2HVNxV8jcUSmNduzSkOzNxdN0D9Mq5GJJ6HArElFo8K385xtITFir_C4DcdBjWRgoYjtJofHDQGgYR2pyqlIssI3EmgjdVa1QK4IzNgBwEoBzh33B7AM=&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

[Ask a question]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001S7k6OPPROHElhjMT2PgHga9NUGdDryzTx6q19PKtM_dnoNQXDGBwsB0pmMVKVh_HRjyH14QaaV5K7rc0NM9EBZ6u9X9Dj99T4FxYI9oymSkg91qz5iocux3aYlyeNUJMwEVNqi3H29LzOW0fEAEt2aNHaLOGUFreAGYRjPUi_6w=&c=qxuQS6gXKQHEh0zgIm_daaoKzMHBjU5xJABsQrfddQMCWPZqb4ovWg==&ch=WD6BZLeVvS8g4rA-RVPxN4HnhEyIAN_f7zza4Umpl71sZZQN0R1vow==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>

[State Library of Oregon (Logo)]