[techtalk] INTERNET - Change Your Default Search Engine

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Jan 16 15:59:05 PST 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon>, use ORLIBTECH
for both the username and password when prompted.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

How to keep the one you want

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/54cd3f1b-094f-4feb-a7d8-976ddc8faeec.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAWInv3emetsJekYV0QNgS0rYe8VhlFT_oZGsZGzCNRUxAm6bcf-fZ51qjVtPYlCZ00-DWec6o7nDuWkArZrH8WOveUzMnuIaUQyFiZ3WGQRNLu7uLGlwE2Jux9bC2RPvfiAvC5PpyuQUWlzjC959IIoI_iq3C_QscHUEVkEW7doA&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

Photo by Joshua J. Cotten<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAQXZyRyn5Y453lgXg9eo-vRKewo8dH9x-VWWrgRoy3o6N-qBQNCV74SZlCAVvLav5jdLra39onSqXDWY8XFkugyDDbOSo4BCOg8grtyyXaN28C9UhShxfWRCmbRx2B31EEQbOA5mLSKH23WEfiZJ9wHCDVYiZ6tN-FVvOyFt7RmRBl_E48v4cLt1lDsCDwR0_SkJ4_1wnkbW&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAbzKbzUAuTH4YTRpiWr1Pcq4Dgsh0pp_qaUF9IjuTIRTQHUtbCgrk04Z4SP9D8ODDcmFA7sDfHRJD02j5q4nqxUj8kFMfxPytIv-kX-XXGhBmmAK1NRqK8unpV1cANP30OYBcj76awb624L3T8NsAd6X7RZYOVx1W9603KZQqrXxg_99ebegMzHOYchb49qOwV39PQPBHdiUgZklDPoq2wXR9dzao4aerGGcBdK8VnxRWxfGyhfn2fT5qj6t-PB05Hqy_6Dj1TaElG6i0oZOM9M=&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAas7b3KDQEReNYD47Jrlc-3P38gt-4Pf_4Ad338PdgJHprTQwG4UXkJnAJlRLYHDm22eZjxv3oBRffqNufl9GEwaL6rvvrMWh_NV-63fECJj&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

Webinars for You

·    January 24: [ORGANIZE] Desktop Organization - Simplify Your Computer Life [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    February 14: [PPT/G-SLIDES] Make Your Presentations Sizzle!  [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    February 28: [DESKTOP] Desktop Organization: Simplify Your Computer Life [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    March 13: [CANVA] Create Concept/Mind Maps to Visually Plan Complex Topics [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

View Webinars and Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAYyb6V5NCw80yoC8FbXi0CUoHqSaGwStm5uO0CT-ixitUmY71NGPlV8AzflvGMZ-dOdzQCWyfIBDFOOCYTr3acufNdCNFH2yDgD0MvAKY_1g&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

INTERNET - Change Your Default Search Engine

Intermediate

[search engine]

Have you ever been working on the Internet and opened a new page and all of a sudden you noticed the search engine that you prefer to use is gone … you see something different?

For instance, maybe you click the Google Chrome icon to get to the Internet. You have your home page set to view Google.com, but Yahoo shows up! You're surprised because you've always had Google appear, but now it's not there. Why does this happen and what can you do about it?

Let's get our terminology clear before we proceed because there are two different types of software at play whenever you go to the Internet.

1) First, there is the software that gets you to the Internet - a web browser. With a browser you can go to specific locations (URLs) that you already know like www.Tech-Talk.com<http://www.tech-talk.com/> or Amazon.com. While there are several hundred of these browsers (mostly in niche markets), the three most popular are: Chrome, Edge and Firefox.

What the browser software doesn't do is find info, answer questions, give you resource choices. That function belongs to search engines.

2) Once you're on the internet, search engines help you find info. The most popular choices are Google, Yahoo and Bing. But there are other third-party choices like DuckDuckGo, Yandex, Secure Search... and even Amazon.

A Side Note:  Safari, made by Apple, is a web browser, not a search engine. Apple doesn't have its own search engine and uses Google as the default on Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac computer).

Typically the browser you use to get to the internet is in partnership with a search engine (the software you use to look up stuff). These come packaged together when you first download the browser software. You can use the default search engine that comes with it, or pick one that you like better.

However, what happens, is that when you least expect it, things change! We'll show you how to fix that.

Oops … Where's My Search Engine?

[search engine]

The problem arises when the browser software company modifies it in some fashion … and in that process, the search engine changes back to the default instead of the one that you previously selected.

Or, it can happen when you have some type of adware (or malware) on your computer (whether you know it or not). This type of software typically has a favorite search engine they want you to use. So it gets switched.

So … if you want to change the search engine back to the one YOU want, you can.

However, they don't make it easy or obvious. You have to know where to look. It's different in each browser that you use. Here are the directions for the three most popular ones.

Chrome's Google

Of course the default search engine in Chrome is Google. If you'd like to make a change:

·    Open a new Chrome browser window.

·    Click on the Chrome Menu button (three vertical dots) in the upper right corner and choose Settings.

·    In the left navigation click on Search engine.

·    In the right panel under Search engine, use the dropdown menu to make your selection.

[Google settings]

Mozilla's Firefox

Like Chrome, the Firefox browser also uses the Google search engine by default. To select a different one:

·    Open a new Firefox browser window.

·    Click on the Firefox Menu button (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner and choose Settings.

·    In the left menu select Search.

·    In the Default Search Engine area, make your selection.

[Firefox]

 Microsoft's Edge

The Edge default search engine is Bing. If you want to change it:

·    Open a new Edge browser window.

·    Click on the Edge Menu button (three horizontal dots) in the upper right corner and choose Settings.

·    Select Privacy, search, and services from the left menu.

·    Scroll all the way down to the Services section (at the bottom) and select Address bar and search.

·    Now, next to Search engine used in the address bar, use the dropdown and make your selection.

[Edge search engine]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Talking

"Would you consider a suggestion I have?"

I was a new patient at an ear doctor's practice and was surprised to learn that the bill I would get from them would only be found in email.

Sure, I know that businesses would prefer to use digital invoicing, but they have always asked my permission first. In this case, not only were they exclusively using email, they didn't tell me that was what they were doing.

I felt blindsided and I knew I had to readjust my thinking to make sure I watched for the bill and didn't delete it. (I personally like having a hard copy in a bill folder.)

Could I Affect Change?

This office appeared to be a very fine practice. They had excellent processes, on-time visits with the doctor, pleasant and informed staff. So I thought the woman at the front desk might be open to a suggestion.

I said, "May I make a suggestion?" (feeling good about my remembering to ask before making a recommendation.) You want the other person to be open to hearing what you have to say, right?

She said yes, so I suggested that they add a step in the process for new patients, alerting them that the bills would be coming in email, not being sent to my home address.

Well, she wasn't all that receptive to the idea. She thought the sign on the desk was enough. OK, not everyone will readily want to change their practices when someone makes a suggestion.

But, I also realized that I could have phrased my "asking a question" in a better way ... one which would have her at least consider the idea. When you think about it, when we say, "May I make a suggestion?", the other person immediately puts up their defenses. They are probably thinking, "OK, what I have done wrong?" "Who does she think she is?"

A much better question on my part would have been, "Would you consider... a suggestion I have?" See the difference? Everyone will consider something.

You're not asking her to change what she does, just to think about it. Who could resist that? You see how the nuance ... the switch to asking them to consider something, instead of just hearing my idea ... gives you a higher chance of receptivity.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAUHKQn7jmuH0Ql2yenlgdb7KJs4EDv0hrJiGof8c74cKvPpInJDj1R3bUo5Sws_rgIpNxI5DSENnYYqpozhZB9AscW4VtZdlvYywuv5kUy10&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Pc_lrVMX-UIG14pkni4YMmi-fgPlq4AwWyh2h8AAlUxexszRYPBgAd-nIytbkDBhuSsoMNCwNyFel78OL0gtC0tRUo07A4vb8fZBUnyvgnYIHs7AAYLMzI7yRWiIebQNjt2h10CaNhQ0cHwOWyl-zV8H3h11Wu8ATo8-V1lUjI4=&c=NncozadaHJPrAHsr4Gev-oTJYyE5DRUHlnAF4_epAoTryE5xlJxN2Q==&ch=W-J_NpqdLAiw5WyCD821jezkkONv1-0Er1l62Im_ZGBeb9STbGhLhg==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA4894.EE303F70]