[techtalk] OFFICE - Want to Use Office 365?

HANNING Darci * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Jul 17 08:01:57 PDT 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon>,
use ORLIBTECH for both the username and password when prompted.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.
Why use Office 365?

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[A button with the text "View the Tech Tip Video Here" is centered on an image of a colorful sky at sunrise or sunset with clouds and sun rays.]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cH9pxd05ue6TLVYikKeJ1qSFyRdVnHUdaUkIBPgxsrEmkq6sJyhGPfo40u-s5Sw1cTVBDvgF89drdyp-2n0SeXnHEfE-v8UEWNE37TeMVGXFyE4q67N1uwVqXW8l4me2-TBg1iix9XZw&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

Photo by Diego PH<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cH9pxd05ue6T-XEznX480mrmSv0wA6vHTsHYpL88Dy0sX6YBXTczfXxnRRYW8HimE_4tj0ghoWQGwdPA2QGP3-r_te6dxEn68mkJejt0n6zGUb7fVFFkQloV4iihFOaVlYSd8jOXVueGFhava8oPkkCSAwozLNWzhQCt82GPBZjR7JtUR17wNAY8JCPcCF6cm-TtBCziIKstVeQNR2bfhOA=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==> on Unsplash<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cH9pxd05ue6TzAcXrkuOiEcVATToW72xQLW2rbdkqC_4yAzFV-O06_oG3OG9DOsW0tn5nHyAPt2kZGHNfJ-eUH5ZoJ7w-rt6JAH1EEQrucf17LFLmcA56ApkOEDV8X3Y-h7ve3Y3bMi907Mrp8NpD_A1dafGuHJt-4JyFJk9YgdLXMD2rWEwNSQZCmtkMlT1igjRftUQlbNpVqOkqQCNhzhxOt5RJ--YhZW_1huk1DkTiz9ohtQWAqI=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cMEqqdX5TlCL1_KNK8ZTYTz0PjyYn_sfRcAkJW-mk-a3rQ2c7mDVgX5NXhNSndHYRsX90YOE6jDFlL4wSAfoELh-dnvgmis-O8gKp3gn1e_j&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

Webinars for You

NOTE: All webinars begin at 3 pm ET / 2 pm CT / 1 pm MT / 12 Noon PT and are one hour long.

·     July 24: [EXCEL] Mastering Spreadsheet Magic: Typical Formula Techniques

·     August 7: [GRAPHICS] CANVA: A Beginner's Guide to Designing Graphics Like a Pro

·     August 21: [OFFICE] Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Productivity

·     September 11: [WEB TOOLS] 3 Tools to Create Your Own Personal Scheduling System

View Webinars and Register Here<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cGFd0rXn6N2XWQ3I-U-KkTbJL_NMaNUFbmIyHT649s6Sjs-v8dS6zsPl-GBWDNae88IZ12y7UciF82Xa99TJBg9d6wrIccTPLVDvUKoIWvVGfDGu5ptT9VA=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

SOFTWARE / WEB TOOL - Want to Use Office 365?

Intermediate

[Colorful 3D icons representing various Microsoft Office apps, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, Word, and OneNote, floating against a soft, pastel-colored background with abstract shapes. Centralized is a large, symmetrical, iridescent icon.]

There is no doubt about it, desktop computing is moving to cloud-based functionality. While this has some advantages, it can also be a scary concept, right? Why? Because it's different from what we know. And we don't want to lose productivity.

Why Use 365?

Having files on the internet makes our documents easier to access no matter where we are or what computer we're using. And yes, we can feel fairly confident that we will have access to the internet.

There are more benefits. Having our documents in the cloud gives us a powerful level of protection against disaster because the servers are backed up with additional safeguards. Then there is the ease of collaboration, sharing documents with others, getting comments, and making modifications.

[The image shows the Office 365 logo. It features an orange background with a white icon resembling an open folder or the letter "O" tilted, followed by the words "Office 365" in white, written in a modern sans-serif font.]

So the main problem we have when changing to Office 365 is primarily that the navigation is slightly different. And yes, many of the advanced features (ones that are used less frequently) have been removed.

Microsoft has essentially given us a stripped-down version of the desktop software to make it easier to do the most common activities.

However, the basics of copying a doc, spreadsheet or presentation, saving it, and then finding it later will require a little re-thinking in the cloud-based world. Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy the benefits.

Register for this Webinar:

[A desk setup with a notebook, green plant, and coffee cup. Text overlay reads "Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Enhanced Productivity." Tech-Talk logo is visible on the notepad.]
Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Productivity

Wed, August 21st, 3 pm (ET)/12 pm (PT)

In this webinar, you’ll learn how to access a 365 Web account and use key features. You’ll see tips we find helpful in Office DESKTOP and learn how they work in 365 WEB. … in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Register Here<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cGFd0rXn6N2XWQ3I-U-KkTbJL_NMaNUFbmIyHT649s6Sjs-v8dS6zsPl-GBWDNae88IZ12y7UciF82Xa99TJBg9d6wrIccTPLVDvUKoIWvVGfDGu5ptT9VA=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

What Microsoft 365 Office Suite Version Do You Have?

[Illustration of various Microsoft Office application icons on a light blue background, with sections labeled "For home," "For business," "For enterprise," and "For education" at the top. Applications include Teams, Word, OneNote, Planner, OneDrive, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint.]

Before we go into a few cool things you can do with Office 365, let's clarify some of the main versions that are available. (There are many …with multiple variations depending on the user group: individuals, businesses, educational institutions, nonprofits, and enterprises.) There are even free versions for individuals, educational institutions and nonprofits.

For our purposes, we're going to talk about the three main options available to most folks:

There are three basic "levels" or versions of Office 365: 1) Personal web-based, 2) Pro Web-Based, 3) Desktop which syncs with the Pro web-based.

[A screenshot of OneDrive displaying icons for various Microsoft applications, including: Microsoft 365, Outlook, OneDrive, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, To Do, Family Safety, Calendar, Clipchamp, Designer, Skype, and More Apps.]

1. 365 WEB Personal (free). Yes, there is a no-cost individual version that you can get for your own use. NOTE: If you have a personal and regular account, be sure to log out of it when going into your professional work account.

2. 365 WEB PRO (Professional). This is the version that many organizations are moving to because it is simpler than desktop software and is more collaboration-friendly. You can work from any computer (because the software and files are all in the cloud). We'll show you where to find a few of your favorite functions in the sections below.

3. 365 DESKTOP – This software lives on your computer (Word, Excel, etc.), and also syncs with your 365 Web version. This is the most fully featured option, with more advanced features in each app.

What Will be Lost When You Move to 365 WEB?

In many organizations, you'll find a mixture of people using different versions of the Office Suite. Typically, because the Office 365 Pro (or desktop version) has more advanced functionality, managers and department heads may be given this version. Then support staff may use the main platform of Microsoft 365 Web so they aren't burdened with navigating through a lot of icons and features they may never use.

A few examples of features excluded in the Web include:

·     In Word: Limited themes and styles, no mail merge, limited tracking, no built-in citation manager.
·     In Excel: Macros, power queries, highly complex formulas, limited data validation, and printing titles and headers.
·     In PowerPoint: Fewer transition choices, no advanced animation paths and triggers, limited presenter options.

A Few Cool Things You Can Do Better with Office 365 Web

Here are some features available in the web version of Microsoft 365 that are not present in the desktop versions:

[Icon of two people sitting at desks facing each other, engaged in conversation or possibly a meeting. The desks and chairs are represented in a simple blue line style.]

1. Real-time Co-authoring: In the web versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, multiple users can work on the same document simultaneously, and changes are reflected in real-time.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/9a448687-123d-4727-a74b-44531d76436b.png]

2. AutoSave: The web apps automatically save changes to documents in OneDrive or SharePoint, so you don't have to worry about losing your work.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/291c0dad-f0f9-4205-9b2c-41a3e1961c01.png]

3. Accessibility Checker: The web version has an always-on Accessibility Checker that runs in the background to help ensure your documents are inclusive and accessible to all readers.

[A curved arrow encircles a smaller circle containing two connected nodes with lines extending to two additional nodes, symbolizing a network or connection. The arrow suggests movement or interaction within the network. The design is monochrome.]

4. Link Sharing and Permissions: Easily share documents with a link and set permissions directly from the web apps without needing to open OneDrive or SharePoint separately.

[The image displays the logo for Microsoft Forms. The logo consists of a stylized "F" on a green square, partially overlaid on a teal background with a circular pattern.]

5. Microsoft Forms Integration: Create, share, and analyze surveys, quizzes, and polls with direct integration in apps like Excel online.

[Illustration of two speech bubbles, one yellow and other red, each displaying the letter "A" and symbols respectively. The bubbles represent translation or multilingual communication.]

6. Instant Translation: Translate documents into different languages instantly within the web apps.

[Icon depicting four squares arranged in a 2x2 grid, outlined in orange. Beneath the icon, the text "Add-ins" is displayed. This icon is typically used in software applications to indicate available add-in features or extensions.]

7. Add-ins and Integrations: The web versions offer easier access to add-ins from the Office Store and better integration with other online services like Trello, Asana, and more.

[A blue rectangular button with rounded edges containing a white arrow pointing left and the word "Share" written in white text.]

8. Simplified Sharing: Streamlined interface for sharing documents and setting permissions, which is more intuitive and accessible in the web apps.

TIP: If using 365 Web is something you'll need to know, join our Tech-Talk Webinar titled: Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Productivity (or watch the recording). This session will show you many specifics to help you feel comfortable using this powerful cloud-based software. Register below.

[A desk setup with a notebook, green plant, and coffee cup. Text overlay reads "Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Enhanced Productivity." Tech-Talk logo is visible on the notepad.]
Register for this Webinar to Attend Live or Get Recording Notices:

Unlocking the Power of Office 365 Web: Seamless Transition and Productivity

Wednesday, August 21st, 3 pm (ET)/12 pm (PT)

Register Here<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cGFd0rXn6N2XWQ3I-U-KkTbJL_NMaNUFbmIyHT649s6Sjs-v8dS6zsPl-GBWDNae88IZ12y7UciF82Xa99TJBg9d6wrIccTPLVDvUKoIWvVGfDGu5ptT9VA=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

[A series of smooth, dark stones arranged in a line, half-submerged in calm, reflective water with a soft, gray background.]

Communication

'Sentence Completion' to minimize conflict

Let's say that you have a team with members who occasionally run into conflict. Things get contentious in meetings. resulting in hard feelings and reduced productivity. Here is one thing you can do to improve the situation.

It's the Sentence Completion exercise.

This method has individuals coming up with ten (10) different answers for the beginning of a sentence. Filling in the responses quickly, with little concerted thought, reveals interesting root causes ... which can then be addressed.

This is a group (or individual) exercise you can do to get the real issues on the board and find solutions to minimize or eliminate them.

Directions...

1. At the top of a sheet of paper, write the beginning of a sentence.

Examples

·     One of the things we can do to minimize conflict in meetings is...

·     One thing that can easily lead to conflict in our sessions is...

·     One thing I can do to avoid conflict in a positive manner is...

·     You can come up with anything that fits this pattern!

2. Number lines #1 - #10.

3. Ask every participating person to rapidly complete the sentence - 10 different times.
·     The answers can be duplicative or contrary; serious or silly.
·     Just complete them quickly without much thought.
·     Everyone must complete the sentence 10 times!!!! (Not 9 or 8, but 10)

4. When finished, ask each to read their answers aloud.
·     Just hearing what is written gives you good insight and self realization.
·     You can discuss what is read or not as the situation warrants.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cL8W7ERvghzCJaxAAN2jWn7Y3PBxVQsVK38BWQCbDni_zu8AmmgAiEJkLCqZ0kvO1VgJnrpa41vdENfShC-wIQA8x-Lj6fhvggXVQ9hjIqCc_WjqNCf5Ad4=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

[Ask a question]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001UEZFIQ3sqNn0SP9BMYBvRjXqUtzgvL_QJZs0Az7oWmyMjImRS5i3cNRATgPxpL-9-9C7ZAH-iP38aSSsrXOcTETQu4LJFlYtx9v4G2Uj5BAjKOkDIAkdl27OSippqOdfgqRlaW_WzJJGcGhF4-k9pVf1snK0_lHYXakcrRKo7Kk=&c=x-eXd9qDzU5NmNP_tM-51sLrS-Uf_MSIexuH0mo2tzvzSsf9QlgzRg==&ch=CnWQzmlQtTv3Q3qBkMVAX7cpPqzsQPbQNQviYVhe_DA2pXdxnPVzpA==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DAD81E.BC611B30]