[TL-Directors] Updated COVID-19 advice for libraries

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Dec 21 15:58:35 PST 2020

Library directors,

Attached is updated advice to help libraries continue responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. This document updates the previous advice document<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=55084691> we issued. Many of you have ongoing questions about how to properly respond to the crisis. We hope that this advice will help address some of those questions. It covers topics such as facilities, collection handling, public computers, programming, and more.

Please don't be scared off by the length of this document! Most of this advice you've very likely already implemented in your libraries. We've already distributed some of this information, or you've run across it in other sources. Most of the new content can be found in the sections on Facilities, Public Computers and Shared Equipment, and Programming, although nearly all of the sections contain updated information.

State Library staff created these recommendations by reviewing content from the Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Oregon Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), and other health and safety professionals. Some of the recommendations are also adapted from OHA's industry-specific advice for sectors facing similar situations as libraries, including retail establishments, restaurants, athletic facilities, organizations offering youth programs, and others. In each section, we cite sources for the advice, and the final page of the document includes a comprehensive list of the sources we consulted. The advice was also reviewed by the State Library's policy advisor from the Governor's Office.

We are distributing this advice to library directors first, to give you time for any changes you might choose to make. We plan to distribute the document more widely among the library community during the first week in January. We'll update our COVID-19 LibGuide for libraries<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/> at that time as well.

As always, we here at the State Library thank you, your staff, and your volunteers for continuing to serve your communities. We have consistently been amazed at how you've been able to provide library services despite the massive difficulties posed by this pandemic and its many side effects. It's inspiring to work with Oregon libraries!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments about the updated COVID-19 advice. And please remember that the whole Library Support & Development team<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Contact.aspx> is here to support you!

Stay safe, stay healthy,

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3486 | www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D6D7B0.EB4BD600]