[gis_info] Learning GIS Analysis Techniques with Sasquatch

Eric Pimpler eric at geospatialtraining.com
Thu Oct 22 07:38:56 PDT 2020

Sasquatch, also known as Bigfoot, Yeti, Squatch, Skunk Ape, Wendingo, among
others is thought to be a large hairy humanoid that some believe to live in
the northwestern United States and western Canada (although sightings have
been reported from every U.S. state with the exception of Hawaii). The name
comes from Salish *se’sxac*, meaning “wild men.” Sasquatch appears to
represent the North American counterpart of the Himalayan region’s mythical
monster, the Abominable Snowman, or Yeti.

Over the next few weeks we're going to be producing a series of articles
designed to teach you fundamental (and more advanced) spatial analysis
techniques using ArcGIS Pro and the R programming language using a dataset
of Sasquatch sightings in North America.

This first article will focus on acquiring the Sasquatch sightings dataset,
importing it into a GIS data format, and performing some basic spatial
analysis. Future articles will take a deeper dive including hot spot
analysis, spatial-temporal analysis, and other techniques. We’ll use ArcGIS
Pro for this exercise and then bring in the Spatial Statistics Toolbox and
R programming language for future articles.

Read the entire article.
<http://geospatialtraining.com/introduction-to-gis-analysis-using-sasquatch-sightings/>

Take our 2020 GIS Training Survey <https://arcg.is/0KGqTi>

--