[gis_info] Introduction to Python/ArcGIS Pro Python Tools and Processes Workshops - May 21, 28 - ArcGIS Desktop Relevance & Switching to Pro

David Howes david at dhowes.com
Mon May 17 15:35:06 PDT 2021

Dear all,

I promise that this will be my last update regarding my upcoming workshops.

*Relevance to ArcGIS Desktop*

I've included the previously sent details below, but want to add one thing.
An attendee signed up for the first workshop, but was concerned about the
second one because they're still using ArcGIS Desktop. As I explained to
them, the principles are the same for both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
and, in many cases, the related functionality is identical. So, if you're
on the fence about the second workshop, don't worry; I can explain the
differences in how things are done as we go along. Of course, I strongly
encourage you to make the move to ArcGIS Pro as soon as possible and, on
that note, I'd like to invite you to my upcoming session entitled " It's
Time to Move On: A Persuasive Case for Transitioning from ArcGIS Desktop to
ArcGIS Pro", which is part of the Intermountain GIS Conference. I'll be on
at 2:30 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday, following our Experience Build
Development session. The details can be found in the conference agenda and
also here http://www.gispd.com/events. I hope to be conducting the same
session as part of the Washington GIS Conference next week and will do my
best to persuade you to make the switch and take advantage of all the great
capabilities that ArcGIS Pro has to offer.

*Workshop Details*

   - Introduction to Python Programming
      - Friday, May 21st, 7:30 am - 4:30 pm Pacific Time/8:30 am - 5:30 pm
      Mountain Time
      - https://whova.com/embedded/session/inter2_202105/1607195/

   - Introduction to ArcGIS Pro Python Tools and Processes Development
      - Friday, May 28th, 7:30 am - 4:30 pm Pacific Time/8:30 am - 5:30 pm
      Mountain Time
      - https://whova.com/embedded/session/inter2_202105/1607196/

Each workshop costs $300 and you can register here
https://whova.com/portal/registration/inter2_202105.

As some of you know, I've typically covered Python Tools and Processes
Development in either a half day or a full day and required that attendees
have basic Python experience. I included an introductory section anyway and
found that it was quite helpful, so much so that it kept growing in detail
and duration. Expanding it to a full day works well and allows for a more
successful focus on ArcGIS Pro Python in the second workshop. As you'll see
from the descriptions, attending the first workshop is a prerequisite
requirement for attending the second workshop, unless I can be sure that
you already have the required level of experience in Python. This
requirement will ensure a better experience all round.

If you're just interested in getting started with Python, the first
workshop should be very helpful, covering all the basic information you
need for developing clean and reusable code using one the best Interactive
Development Environment (IDE) programs available, the free Community
Edition of PyCharm. As I've said many times, especially in my Value of
Coding for GIS presentations (for which details and slides are available at
http://www.gispd.com/events), coding offers you the opportunity to
dramatically enhance the value of your investment in GIS software and
Python skills are especially valuable, not only for making the most of
ArcGIS Pro, but also for a wide range of other applications.

Please get in touch if you have any questions.

Thanks.

David