[gis_info] Population Shifts: Western U.S. Growth Hot Spots and Cold Spots

Eric Pimpler eric at geospatialtraining.com
Wed May 22 09:45:01 PDT 2024

Over the last five years, the western United States has experienced notable
shifts in population patterns, with distinct regions emerging as either
growth hot spots or cold spots. Cities like Denver, Colorado, and Boise,
Idaho, have seen substantial population increases, driven by their robust
economies, outdoor lifestyles, and relative affordability compared to
coastal metropolises. Conversely, areas such as rural Nevada and parts of
New Mexico have encountered slower growth or population declines, often due
to limited economic opportunities and an aging population. This blog post
will highlight the regions experiencing booming growth and those facing
demographic challenges, offering insights into the evolving population
trends in the western United States.

Study Methods

To accurately identify the population growth hot spots and cold spots in
the western United States, we utilized the R tidycensus package, which
allows for seamless access to American Community Survey (ACS) data.
Specifically, we analyzed population data from the years 2017 and 2022 to
capture changes over the five-year period and then used the ArcGIS Pro Hot
Spots Analysis tool to determine population growth hot and cold spots at a
census tract level for the Western United States.

Read the entire article.
<https://geospatialtraining.com/population-shifts-western-u-s-growth-hot-spots-and-cold-spots/>

--
Eric Pimpler