[Libs-Or] Upcoming Learning Opportunities (FREE)

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Jun 7 08:00:00 PDT 2024

Hello  library community!

Here’s a quick reminder about learning resources available through the State Library and other organizations:

Be sure to visit the State Library of Oregon’s CE website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted> for more learning resources and the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> which also includes links to the PDF<https://maine-msl.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=74557260> and online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions of this month's free events listed by category (compiled by the Maine State Library hosted by WebJunction).

Free Online Conferences:

June 20, 2024, 12:00 - 3:00 pm PT, The Supportive Library: Helping Patrons Experiencing Homelessness<https://www.library20.com/the-supportive-library> (Library 2.0)

>From a librarian’s perspective, when we think of patrons experiencing homelessness, we automatically know and understand that they are an especially vulnerable population. We also know that to work in libraries is to be on the forefront of homelessness. However, while we are working directly with vulnerable patrons, many of us may not know how to help someone who is unhoused or who is experiencing food or other insecurities. We may not understand why they don’t trust us, or why they are striking out angrily toward us. We may not know the mental challenges or trauma they are experiencing or the loneliness and isolation they are feeling. In turn, this can expose our own vulnerabilities. [Read more<https://www.library20.com/the-supportive-library>.]

June 27, 2024, 12:00 - 2:30 pm PT, Teaching and Learning with AI<https://www.learningrevolution.com/teaching-and-learning-with-ai> (Learning Revolution)

While AI technologies have many dramatic benefits, there are also challenges and concerns expressed by professionals, students, and educators about the impact of these new technologies on teaching and learning and the information ecosystem as a whole. Some are reasonably concerned about protecting privacy and confidentiality of students while using generative AI tools and ensuring equity and accessibility. Others worry about ethics, plagiarism, bias, misinformation, transparency, and the loss of critical thinking. And all in the learning professions are wondering how AI might allow or require changes in pedagogy and curricula.

Self-paced resources, webinar recordings, podcasts, and articles:

LEARN: Trauma Informed Approach for Libraries<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/18112>

(self-paced tutorial, available to Oregon libraries only, sign up here<https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/RequestAccessToContinuingEducationResources> if you need access to the Oregon Library Staff Academy)

Patrons bring their whole lives with them when they walk into the library. There are things that happen in their lives—like poverty, discrimination, abuse, and addiction—that are bigger than their individual choices. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration developed “Four R’s” of a trauma-informed approach: realize, recognize, respond, and resist re-traumatization. A trauma-informed approach helps us see patrons as whole people, not just labels or victims of circumstances. Being trauma-informed shifts the focus from what’s wrong with a person to what happened to them.

WATCH: A Trauma-Informed Lens Changes What You See<https://learn.webjunction.org/enrol/index.php?id=467> (webinar recording, WebJunction course catalog, required free WebJunction account)

Ever encounter a patron whose behavior or comments leave you wondering, what is wrong with them? Trauma is often a silent unknown event that many people experience. It can affect how people behave and interact with others. In this webinar, Beatriz De La Espriella will cover how trauma can change the brain, the impact it has on individuals, and how trauma-informed services can transform the way we provide services to our patrons and connect with our community. You will leave this presentation with the tools you need to serve patrons with empathy, avoid re-traumatization, and strategies that are vital for self-care when providing trauma-informed services.

LISTEN: Slow Librarianship with Meredith Farkas<https://libraryleadershippodcast.com/110-slow-librarianship-with-meredith-farkas/> (Library Leadership Podcast)

Have you ever wondered if there was a way you could slow down in your professional life while engaging in more meaningful work? On this show Meredith Farkas, Faculty Librarian at Portland Community College, shares how we can do this using slow librarianship – a concept with the characteristics of being good, humane, and thoughtful. It’s not about creating mediocrity. It’s about engaging in our best and most meaningful work.

READ: Working Toward Wellness: Exploring Trauma-Informed Librarianship<https://www.libraryjournal.com/story/Working-Toward-Wellness-Exploring-Trauma-Informed-Librarianship> (Library Journal)

As awareness increases about the need to address personal challenges both inside and out of the library, staff and practitioners—from leaders to frontline workers—are sharing their experiences, observations, and views around trauma-informed librarianship

Highlighted events:

Tuesday, June 18, 2024. 12p PT  (90 minutes) Data storytelling 101 <https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/data-storytelling-101.html>  (WebJunction)

Storytelling is a vital strategy for communicating impact and justifying future investments. Powerful and effective stories allow us to create a roadmap that weaves together information and emotion. This webinar will provide an orientation to storytelling that centers cultural humility while leveraging storytelling dynamics, including how to practice and refine an impactful story with a live audience. Participants will learn the techniques of story construction based on three classic narrative structures, with roots in folklore and narratology, and explore examples of data stories told by and about libraries. This is an opportunity to build confidence in the ability to recognize and craft a meaningful and memorable story.

Thursday, June 20, 11a-12p PT, LGBTQ History through Federal Government Documents<https://www.fdlp.gov/event/lgbtq-history-through-federal-government-documents> (FDLP)

This webinar highlights primary sources on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) movement from all branches of the Federal Government. As an update to presentations in 2016 and 2018, viewers will learn about the Federal Government's position and actions on issues related to the LGBTQ movement since 2018.

The free RIPL webinar series, 12 Months to Better Library Data<https://www.ripleffect.org/12-months-to-better-library-data/>, continues with the following topics:

  *   Creative Survey Design: Crafting Survey Instruments to Meet Your Library’s Research and Evaluation Needs<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/creative-survey-design-crafting-survey-instruments-to-meet-your-librarys-research-and-evaluation-needs/> (recording<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/creative-survey-design-crafting-survey-instruments-to-meet-your-librarys-research-and-evaluation-needs/> now available)
  *   Building Bridges: Collecting Culturally Relevant Data<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/building-bridges-collecting-culturally-relevant-data/> (July 25, 10:00a – 11:30a)
  *   Exploring Public Libraries Survey Data for Peer Comparisons<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/exploring-public-libraries-survey-data-for-peer-comparisons/> (August 15, 10:00a – 11:30a)

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:

Each Wednesday from 11a - 12p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available the following week in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category. Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/RequestRegistrationLinksToUpcomingPCIWebinars>

Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

  *   June 12: Adult Library Programs that Work
  *   June 26: Appy Hour with Kira and Holl
  *   July 10: Recharge Your Energy: Refill Your Cup, Reignite Your Power
  *   July  17: A Mindful Approach to Stress
  *   July  24: Setting Boundaries with Patrons
  *   July 31: Hit the Gym or Hit the Library: How to Improve Health and Wellness at Your Local Library

  *   Aug 7: From Knowing to Doing: Maximizing the Impact of Employee Training
  *   Aug 14: Day of the Dead Storytime
  *   Aug 21: Meeting Challenging Emotions Mindfully
  *   Aug 28: Influencing Others Into Action

Webinars coming up the week of June 10 (visit the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> for details):

Tuesday, June 11

  *   11:00am AL Live—Storytelling through Sound: Audiobook Trends and Titles You Have to Hear to Believe (American Libraries)
  *   11:00am Fall 2024 Youth Preview (Booklist)

Wednesday, June 12

  *   7:00am Moving Beyond Avoidance: Conflict Resolution for Beginners (Indiana State Library)
  *   8:00am Digital Literacy in a Rural Community (NNLM)
  *   10:00am Uncovering and Managing to Employee Motivations (Blackbaud)
  *   11:00am Engage Diverse Donors with Culturally Informed Marketing Strategies (Candid Learning)
  *   11:00am Host a Repair Café in Your Library (ALA)
  *   11:00am Leveraging the Power of Advocates and the Devil’s Advocate in Change Management (Niche Academy)
  *   11:00am Retrofitting Learning Objects for Better Engagement and Efficiency (ASERL)
  *   11:00am PCI: Adult Library Programs that Work
  *   12:00pm Beyond the Binary: Understanding LGBTQIA Health (NNLM)
  *   12:00pm Amazingly Helpful Tips for Getting a Book Published (Tech-Talk)

Thursday, June 13

  *   9:00am Leveraging the Summer Slowdowns: How to Prepare for End-of-Year Fundraising in June (Nonprofit Learning Lab)
  *   10:00am Board Revolution: Rethinking Nonprofit Governance for Organizational Impact (CharityVillage)
  *   11:00am NOAA Institutional Repository Implementing Public Access (FDLP)
  *   11:00am Gale 101- Support.gale.com (Gale)

Friday, June 14

  *   9:00am Idea Lab: Impact of Net Neutrality on Library Services (Libraries4de)

Looking for learning resources on a particular topic? I’m happy to help – please contact me!

Cheers,

Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)

Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services

971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>

Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DAB755.ED63BA10]