[Libs-Or] Upcoming Learning Opportunities (FREE)

HANNING Darci * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Jun 14 13:44:11 PDT 2024

Hello  library community!

Here's a quick reminder about learning resources available through the State Library and other organizations:

Be sure to visit the State Library of Oregon's CE website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted> for more learning resources and the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> which also includes links to the PDF<https://maine-msl.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=76010632> and online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions of this month's free events listed by category (compiled by the Maine State Library hosted by WebJunction).

SAVE THE DATES!

The State Library of Oregon is pleased to offer the following three webinars from the series "Professional Productivity with ChatGPT + AI Bootcamp: Practical and Effective Use of Artificial Intelligence at Work<https://www.learningrevolution.com/professional-productivity?mc_cid=92cb02bec7>" free of charge to Oregon library workers and staff:

  *   Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "The Basics: An Overview of ChatGPT, LLMS, and AI"
  *   Friday, July 19, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "Professional Productivity with AI"
  *   Friday, July 26, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "ChatGPT and AI for Business Development And Training"

Additionally, Laurie Bridges (OSU Libraries) will present on Ethics and AI the first week of August (details forthcoming) followed by a 30 minute Q&A session.

All four webinars will be recorded and available in the Oregon Library staff academy shortly after each live event. Registration details for all four webinars will be shared soon!

Free Online Conferences:

June 20, 2024, 12:00 - 3:00 pm PT, The Supportive Library: Helping Patrons Experiencing Homelessness<https://www.library20.com/the-supportive-library> (Library 2.0)

>From a librarian's perspective, when we think of patrons experiencing homelessness, we automatically know and understand that they are an especially vulnerable population. We also know that to work in libraries is to be on the forefront of homelessness. However, while we are working directly with vulnerable patrons, many of us may not know how to help someone who is unhoused or who is experiencing food or other insecurities. We may not understand why they don't trust us, or why they are striking out angrily toward us. We may not know the mental challenges or trauma they are experiencing or the loneliness and isolation they are feeling. In turn, this can expose our own vulnerabilities. [Read more<https://www.library20.com/the-supportive-library>.]

June 27, 2024, 12:00 - 2:30 pm PT, Teaching and Learning with AI<https://www.learningrevolution.com/teaching-and-learning-with-ai> (Learning Revolution)

While AI technologies have many dramatic benefits, there are also challenges and concerns expressed by professionals, students, and educators about the impact of these new technologies on teaching and learning and the information ecosystem as a whole. Some are reasonably concerned about protecting privacy and confidentiality of students while using generative AI tools and ensuring equity and accessibility. Others worry about ethics, plagiarism, bias, misinformation, transparency, and the loss of critical thinking. And all in the learning professions are wondering how AI might allow or require changes in pedagogy and curricula.

Self-paced resources, webinar recordings, podcasts, and articles:

LEARN: From Project READY (Reimagining Equity & Access for Diverse Youth)

While the primary focus of the Project READY curriculum is on improving relationships with, services to, and resources for youth of color and Native youth, it is also appropriate for those who are interested in improving their knowledge about race and racism, racial equity, and culturally sustaining pedagogy. For this week, two modules are recommended:

  *   Module 7: Exploring Culture<https://ready.web.unc.edu/section-1-foundations/module-7/>
  *   Module 8: Cultural Competence and Cultural Humility<https://ready.web.unc.edu/section-1-foundations/module-8/>

WATCH: A three-part presentation on Cultural Competency and Cultural Humility from California State University - Northridge / Family Focus Resource Center:

  *   Cultural Competency and Cultural Humility <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWb7N6MJ8A>
  *   Understanding Your Own Attitudes & Bias<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNq4PoSfyo>
  *   Cultural Competence Strategies<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_su7i9T9_M>

LISTEN: Hopeful Visions, Practical Actions: Cultural Humility in Library Work (Circulating Ideas podcast, episode #240)

Steve chats with the editors of Hopeful Visions, Practical Actions: Cultural Humility in Library Work, Sarah R. Kostelecky, Lori Townsend, and David A. Hurley, about what cultural humility is, the importance of self-reflection, mitigating power differentials, and why Venn diagrams are always the answer.

Note: this title, Hopeful Visions, Practical Actions: Cultural Humility in Library Work<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1839513/ada?qu=Libraries+and+minorities+--+United+States.&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A1839513~ILS~5&rt=false%7C%7C%7CSUBJECT%7C%7C%7CSubject&st=PD&h=8>, is also available for loan from the State Library via ILL. If you would like to borrow this item, use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> to discuss alternative options for borrowing this item.

READ: Cultural Humility in Libraries<https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1135&context=ulls_fsp> (PDF), David A. Hurley, Sarah Kostelecky, Lori Townsend. January 2019.

  *   The purpose of this article is to introduce the idea of cultural humility, distinguish it from cultural competence, and argue that it has a role in librarianship.
  *   Libraries looking to address issues in intercultural communication and services to multicultural populations will find an approach that may be better suited to their contexts than prevailing models of cultural competency.
  *   Librarians need to commit to redressing the power imbalances and other structural issues that interfere with library service, for the benefit of the patrons, the library, and librarians themselves.

Highlighted events:

Tuesday, June 18, 2024. 12p PT  (90 minutes) Data storytelling 101 <https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/data-storytelling-101.html>  (WebJunction)

Storytelling is a vital strategy for communicating impact and justifying future investments. Powerful and effective stories allow us to create a roadmap that weaves together information and emotion. This webinar will provide an orientation to storytelling that centers cultural humility while leveraging storytelling dynamics, including how to practice and refine an impactful story with a live audience. Participants will learn the techniques of story construction based on three classic narrative structures, with roots in folklore and narratology, and explore examples of data stories told by and about libraries. This is an opportunity to build confidence in the ability to recognize and craft a meaningful and memorable story.

Thursday, June 20, 11a-12p PT, LGBTQ History through Federal Government Documents<https://www.fdlp.gov/event/lgbtq-history-through-federal-government-documents> (FDLP)

This webinar highlights primary sources on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) movement from all branches of the Federal Government. As an update to presentations in 2016 and 2018, viewers will learn about the Federal Government's position and actions on issues related to the LGBTQ movement since 2018.

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:

Each Wednesday from 11a - 12p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available the following week in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category. Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/RequestRegistrationLinksToUpcomingPCIWebinars>

Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

  *   June 26: Appy Hour with Kira and Holl
  *   July 10: Recharge Your Energy: Refill Your Cup, Reignite Your Power
  *   July  17: A Mindful Approach to Stress
  *   July  24: Setting Boundaries with Patrons
  *   July 31: Hit the Gym or Hit the Library: How to Improve Health and Wellness at Your Local Library
  *   Aug 7: From Knowing to Doing: Maximizing the Impact of Employee Training
  *   Aug 14: Day of the Dead Storytime
  *   Aug 21: Meeting Challenging Emotions Mindfully
  *   Aug 28: Influencing Others Into Action

Webinars coming up the week of June 17 (visit the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> for details):

Monday, June 17

  *   11:00am Upsize Reading Experiences: Expand Accessibility with Large Print<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/5417171058386/WN_E7KWbVFqRLG4b5zDf8CakQ#/registration>

Tuesday, June 18

  *   8:00am Ready, Set, Evaluate: Assess your Organization's Readiness for Program Evaluation (Nonprofit Learning Lab)
  *   10:00am Why Build Relationships with Grantmakers? (CharityHowTo)
  *   11:00am Exercising Empathy in Conflict (govloop)
  *   12:00pm Data storytelling 101 (WebJunction)

Thursday, June 20

  *   11:00am Accounting for Restricted Grants: When and How To Record Properly? (Techsoup)
  *   11:00am LGBTQ History through Federal Government Documents (FDLP)
  *   11:00am Maximize Donor Retention: Using the Giving Season Slowdown to Boost Year-End Results (GrantStation)
  *   11:00am Using Public Data to Make Decisions (US Census)
  *   11:00am Understanding Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Veterans: A conversation with Dr. Kathy Platoni (Ryan Dowd)

Looking for learning resources on a particular topic? I'm happy to help - please contact me!
Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DABE56.322A7880]

[https://res.cdn.office.net/assets/bookwithme/misc/CalendarPerson20px.png]<https://outlook.office365.com/bookwithme/user/a59abb0a2327467fac503ddb3913cf5e@slo.oregon.gov?anonymous&ep=signature>
Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office365.com/bookwithme/user/a59abb0a2327467fac503ddb3913cf5e@slo.oregon.gov?anonymous&ep=signature>