[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: HARDWARE: Considerations When Choosing a Mobile Phone Charger

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Wed May 22 08:27:30 PDT 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/what-is-artificial-intelligence-ai-and-chatgpt.html> and the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/listening-skills-find-a-connecting-thought.html> online instead at:
https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon

When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for both.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.
What to consider when purchasing a portable charger

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[A monarch butterfly perches on a leaf in a blooming garden with its wings fully spread. Featuring vibrant orange wings with black and white markings, the butterfly stands out against the soft focus of green foliage.]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyV1K-oYCHQn2JTws-J9s4phDcnsLT9N0ymQ84bXTnY_AV_kUc7u2IBCHYWi8EoX2SNN77bEtSji7urJVN7pWcTc_SEq8kw9FCuRM733yxDfZOkrteeCyuOSnY7DqisAZ44KRPWrYP26JxaXtOgitGEuyHfqK6Qm4hW4xTTuFvZgqroH8F9QYOXNQ=&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

Photo by Sonika Agarwal<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyV1K-oYCHQn2JYWOMy3Pd3Rk84saZk1CWoKpWrTi0Y3utX8vMlHfdK3WvYtjkCZgYX-H_mZIJxLX9L1MC26DS0TGO7-jypORl9-KRs51S09h1SHGYoLvOl0k5YZLA11z-ZgVEKijKA9ewUIUieyAhVKvLgUjy-YBxUcMsZC_u0rIw-PyBlzFROFqtpbUxCb-HnWwAeEnk3owaDxhskj_Rqu_-IaBLFTMuGQ==&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==> on Unsplash<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyV1K-oYCHQn2JqU_n-BSS0gAWrnw9JPKQM_toWDqTF4yKvx82r_PQlAll9xINmaqxfqawAf0q6HyHCtJrQERKGu0rXAX-HCIMd0cBlUbQR_wGEW5QuENSg4V34_HpQyKBTYvVWIQLli6iI4qu3AQB4jeKPppGdVRWpmCmrvnsHI2bjAaZBmzHuNNEJTnkEI6NuJ5i2_0oD7NpMw_tYrmisD0dZu2kWHjKOa0P7htfJAhqLp9OztEbbepR44sanAxNSlZ5S__4B6GOf9QfXvw7ezo1mkp2VvXC8hT8dwBS5dhArZptRb0-OW1Rh0AdsMBXGbrvY3P1ntfD&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyVwSIbHQaNtUipEJojPVsgmClvcPuTj_PePdNIwdxaMi4ymRAyynBRpL6we6hp1Qt_-SoC1xo_w_qityaWGaJW1Mj-RxWCduus3AXdfnY77p0&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

Webinars for You

NOTE: All webinars begin at 3 pm ET / 2 pm CT / 1 pm MT / 12 Noon PT and are one hour long.

·     May 22: [COMMUNICATE] Leadership Communications: Winning Words, Part 2

·     June 12: [WEB TOOLS] Amazingly Helpful Tips for Getting a Book Published

·     June 26: [PPT & G-Slides] Cool Features You Can Use to Shine when Presenting with Slides

·     July 10: [VIDEO] From Screen Recording to Polished Productions

View Webinars and Register Here<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyVzuXh9FRn_1inF3DWamGf44uN_5TY7mJ4--s4E4yDNx37W6VAkTl-o6jvz06LO98LyJ_ryS-xpNKhAZE6lcnZq0VIlDtF_eDCs02LkW8sDXKbHYoNPpgFto=&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

HARDWARE: Considerations When Choosing a Mobile Phone Charger

Intermediate

[A person is holding a smartphone with a low battery warning at 3% displayed on the screen. They are about to plug in a USB-C charging cable into the phone.]

Have you ever been in a situation like this?

I was traveling and used my mobile phone to listen to a downloaded podcast on a 4-hour plane ride. I didn't realize the battery was so low until we were ready to deplane. I needed my phone to call an Uber, but now the battery was drained!

Because I kept a portable charger in my purse, I was able to plug that into my phone and by the time I walked through the terminal and reached baggage claim, I had charged my phone enough to use the app to order my ride. Whew!

Sure, I could have stopped somewhere in the airport to find an outlet and stand there waiting for 10-15 minutes, but by using this little charging device, I eliminated that inconvenience.

You may be thinking that you don't need a mobile device charger (also referred to as a battery pack or power bank) because there are outlets everywhere – in our cars, coffee shops, and public buildings like libraries. However, there may be occasional times when you're running errands, taking a hike, out by the pool… when having a portable charger for your phone, notepad or laptop can save your day!

What Should You Consider When Purchasing a Portable Charger?

You need to think about several features that can help ensure you get a power bank that meets your needs. Here are the key features to consider:

[A person sits on a rocky ledge overlooking a forested landscape, holding a smartphone connected to a power bank with a blue cable. They are wearing jeans and a black shirt, with a backpack beside them.]
·     Capacity (mAh) - Look for a charger with enough "juice" to fully charge your device(s). Measured in milliampere-hours (mAh), higher capacity means more charges. For example, a 10,000mAh charger can typically charge a smartphone about 2-3 times.

·     Output Power (Wattage/Amperage) - Ensure the charger can provide power for your devices quickly. Common outputs are 5V, but fast-charging devices may require higher wattage like 18W, 30W, or even 45W. The wattage of a portable charger determines how quickly it can charge itself ... and how fast it can charge devices.

·     Portability - Consider the size and weight of the charger. Higher capacity chargers tend to be larger and heavier, so balance capacity with how portable you need it to be.

·     Number and Types of Ports - More ports will allow you to charge multiple devices at the same time. Make sure it has the right type of ports for your device(s). (USB-A, USB-C, etc.). USB-C ports (the smaller plugs) are becoming more common and support faster charging and data transfer for most newer AirPods, iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel devices.

·     Price and Value – Think of your budget, but also the value offered in terms of capacity, features, and durability. Sometimes spending a bit more on a trusted brand can save you trouble in the long run.

So to make sure you don't run out of battery power on one of your portable devices, take a look at one of these battery packs so that you have it when you need it.

Top-Rated Portable Charing Device Options

There are hundreds of different types of battery packs. We looked at reviews from major sources and have used some of these ourselves. Depending on your mobile device type, the features you need and your budget, here are some highly-rated portable chargers to consider.

[A black Anker portable power bank tilted slightly to the right. The compact device features a digital screen displaying the battery percentage and has one USB port and a USB-C port. The Anker branding is visible on the front.]
Overall Value

Anker Portable Charger

Power for most types of laptops, tablets or smartphones; fast charging; charge two devices at once

·     USB Ports: 2
·     Capacity (mAh): 20,000
·     Output Power: 15W
·     Weight: 12 ounces
·     Current Price Range: $32 - $43

[A slim, black portable power bank with "INU" branding in the top right corner. It features a blue paw print-shaped LED indicator light and two USB ports at the bottom edge.]
Small and Lightweight Option

INIU Portable Charger

For iPad, iPhone, Air Pods, Samsung, Google Pixel

·     USB Ports: 2
·     Capacity (mAh): 10,000
·     Output Power: 5V
·     Weight: 3.6 ounces

·     Current Price Range: $18 - $30

[A sleek, silver UGREEN 145W power bank with a digital display showing '100'. It has four ports on one side: two USB-A and two USB-C. Two USB-C cables are placed beside the power bank on a white surface.]
For Tablets and Laptops

UGreen 145W Power Bank

For most laptop and tablet devices as well as phones and smartwatches

·     USB Ports: 3
·     Capacity (mAh): 25,000
·     Output Power: 145W
·     Weight: 1.11 lbs

·     Current Price Range: $84 - $150

[Showing front and back, orange-black portable solar power banks with dual USB ports and a compass on the side. One power bank is shown frontally, displaying the solar panel, while the other shows the back with a wireless charging indicator.]
For Outdoors - Solar Powered

BLAVOR Solar Power Bank

For all types of devices; waterproof; includes camping flashlight and compass

·     USB Ports: 4
·     Capacity (mAh): 20,000
·     Output Power: 145W
·     Weight: 1.04 lbs

·     Current Price Range: $42- $50

[A series of smooth, dark stones arranged in a line, half-submerged in calm, reflective water with a soft, gray background.]

Communication: 6 Listening Skills

#6: Find a connecting thought

OK, you've been listening to someone for a while and you want to move on. Yet you need the speaker to understand that you are, and have been, listening. What do you do?

How can you graciously move on, switch to a different angle, or get your own thoughts out?

Here's a technique that works nicely. Find a connecting thought and grab it.

Two Examples:
·     [Immediately after a key thought] "Good thought, we could..."

·     [Repeat a phrase they just said] "Getting it done. Right. Let's consider..."

So whenever you want to move on, listen for a phrase or thought that you can grab onto and turn the conversation in the direction you wish, while showing that you are listening.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyV6wv5j6LrwQnEEXHiKJDKl8D9HkB1SYCaqF5Apu6vzEzMStZQ8ag5qk7gud13mJwgX5TAqIoCqSeT6b3Yk9wxcBWlpV5Fx7TIxIJRH2HBIJe--2OQjxIjok=&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

[Ask a question]<https://opiayfbab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001e_dmwoDVEuETyt5oQBPiuE7PpBWLgkwsP-giNbs5TaY49gFbXjyyV2D4cC5QqJwxBAA-eeE51lZfzz2w0ABwWUea1inw-mhMNtWEg2QJi3FZu-FPrkogCLzJnavdZp51T25Z9Q_lPIc8BDWLsD619_mtFyZSAKiCr-TTNi-5D7E=&c=7ej0zLcMA76uIwxzQpNn9afFmXkl0uIOFjv-TmPdO5TfiOKpvXa3Bw==&ch=gEmsRSLV4SjxpnW4KnP3TlJ5kEY0K8fwdBddhDOzBlLShfVs4ELr1Q==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DAAC21.E22A1D40]