[or-roots] Charles Henry Merchant Family Coos County,OR

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Oct 17 19:54:39 PDT 2006

James;

Do you have all your Censuses?, in 8 june 1870 Empire city I note these are
busy people;

He is a clerk still, they are lving in the Parker Butler home.
Mrs M. L age 26 b. in Massachusetts,
Mary Ann	7
Sarah Isabl(e?) 6
Lydia G.(?) 4
Wm T.(P?) S. 3
Robert Henry 2
Benj S 1/12

In the 1860 Census you don;t learn much, he is a clerk living with a laborer
named Isaac Kingeroc or some such, there is an English Merchant in town
about ten years older than Charles, but probably no connection.

Hmm; in 1900 he does state his father is born in England, so the other guy
in 1860 might be an older sib? They are in s. Marshfield, which is now Coos
Bay.

Mary lists 16 children 12 still living in 1900, if you don't have that info,
let me know and will either transcribe or send image, she was a remarkable
woman! Charles' occupation is amusing; Capitalist, I assume this must mean
some kind of banker, not a political commentary from the Census taker.

William is living in N. Marshfield, with Lizzi b. oct 1870, Germany, son
Charles H. jan 1893  Or, William Mar 1899, married 8 years list 2 children 2
living.

in 1910
Children Albert and Francis are in the same house, both being married,
living in Prosper in 1910, John and James are in S. Marshfield, Wm still in
N. Marshfield, they've added a daughter Helen and Mother-in-law Barbara
Preusss is living with them.

I will stick you email in my promises folder and try to remember to take it
with me next time I go to Coos Bay, see if I can drum up any more info,
Charles might have had an obit.

Les C