[Iscn-members] CIO Council Packet for Email Distribution

WORTMAN David * DAS David.WORTMAN at oregon.gov
Wed Apr 1 14:20:47 PDT 2020

Robel,

I think I am going to go ahead and forward you this message and packet for distribution to the CIO Council, in light of the canceled meeting in March. I realize we may need to circle back to this when things calm down, but hopefully folks will at least have a chance to glance at this. Can you please, at your convenience, distribute this by email?

CIO Council Members:

I had hoped to have the chance to present this information to you at the March CIO Council meeting, but due to our circumstances I was unable to do so. In light of the current situation, I have decided to distribute this by email.

Over 2018-2019, myself and colleagues from ODOE came to CIO Council meetings to brief you and seek input on our statewide plug load strategy, which was a required component of EO 17-20 to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. That strategy was completed in 2019 and can be found here.<https://www.oregon.gov/energy/Get-Involved/Documents/2018-BEEWG-Plug-Load-Strategy.pdf>

EO 17-20 also directed DAS to update its Statewide Energy and Resource Conservation Policy. That policy was approved by the DAS Executive Team in February 2020 and is attached, along with a briefing paper on the process and changes.

Section i of the Policy pertains to computers and IT equipment, and agency IT managers are responsible for its implementation. Essentially, it calls for:

*       Applying sleep modes and balanced power settings on computers and monitors

*       Programming smart boards for sleep modes

*       Eliminating personal printers and optimizing efficiency of multi-function devices

Plug loads are a growing source of energy use, and computers and IT equipment are a large share of this plug load. While some agency IT managers have been deploying power management, from informal polls of agencies we know there are many others who have yet to deploy such strategies. In 2019-20, DAS IT successfully rolled out a new power management policy and was able to realize significant energy savings without compromise of security or ability to conduct updates. Please see their attached case study.

DAS will be following up periodically with agencies and both their facility managers and IT managers on implementation of the Policy, and to offer support where it may be needed.

In the meantime, I realize you are all working very hard to continue operations in light of our unique situation. As one working remotely, thank you for all you do, and thanks very much for helping us save energy.

Please feel to ask any questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave Wortman, LEED AP BD+C, ISSP-SA
Statewide Sustainability Officer
Department of Administrative Services | State of Oregon
1225 Ferry St. SE, U100 | Salem, OR 97301-4281
Mobile: 971-304-8733
Subscribe to the Oregon sustainability newsletter<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/ORDAS/subscriber/topics?qsp=ORDAS_3,>
Visit the DAS Sustainability web site<http://www.oregon.gov/das/Facilities/Pages/Sustainability.aspx>

P please print this email only if there is truly a need