[Libs-Or] 2014 Revision of the Standards for Oregon Public Libraries - APPROVED!

Pam North pamn at wccls.org
Fri May 9 10:28:56 PDT 2014

Hello, Oregon Library Community!

As announced at the OLA Conference last month, the 2014 revision of the Standards for Oregon Public Libraries was approved by the PLD membership. The revised Standards are available here: http://www.olaweb.org/assets/PLD/PLDStandards/final%20-%20standards%20for%20oregon%20public%20libraries%20revision%20approved%202014%20.pdf

The PLD Board recognizes there are clarifications and additions yet to be made and we will endeavor to do so over the next year. We welcome your comments and ask that you let us know how you are using the Standards and if they are valuable to your work.

One area we had not addressed was - When do you know when you have met a level of a Standard? We have determined that you must meet a majority of the Essential level before being eligible to move on to Enhanced. Similarly, the majority of Enhanced must be met before moving to Exemplary. We intend to create a score sheet to assist you in deriving the level of Standards you meet, overall and may introduce some "core" values that are essential to all libraries.

It is also clear that we need to correct some issues with parallel language and formatting and it is our desire to include hyperlinks and a glossary.

Thank you all for your patience during this process and an extra thank you to the Standards Review Committee for all of their excellent work!

The OLA Public Library Division Board
Pam North
Maureen Cole
Su Liudahl