[Libs-Or] Public Libraries and CD collections

Haun, Burton haun at wilsonvillelibrary.org
Wed Sep 10 12:58:41 PDT 2014

Here is my story in Wilsonville:

I usually order 15-20 popular CD titles each month. This is fewer than in years past. I do add “best of…” collections that come via donations and will buy other trending bands and genres.  Circulation of cds has already leveled and seems to be trending slowly downward.

It is disheartening to watch, but I don’t think that it has a direct correlation to my purchasing fewer titles. Our reference desk is next to our collection, so I watch people browse the collection and the number of browsers over the last few years has noticeably decreased. I think most of our circs go to other libraries in the county and music aficionados who eagerly seek new music to put on hold.

After reviewing sites like Hoopla, I am not ready to commit. I am not sold on the benefit or value for the cost. We also do not get requests for these services, nor are they requested during library surveys. It is very difficult to know exactly how the future will play out for this collection, but I feel that downloadable music services will probably continue to increase in popularity. Will the library be a significant participant in the patron/corporation relationship? For smaller libraries? hmmm.

Burton

Burton Haun

Reference Librarian

Wilsonville Public Library