[Libs-Or] Policies and Pot

Rawles, Carolyn Carolyn.Rawles at corvallisoregon.gov
Wed Feb 18 16:28:37 PST 2015

Our policy prohibits activities that are prohibited by law.     It makes it easier to make sure our Code of Conduct is up to date without specifically enumerating each potential activity.  For example, it’s already illegal to drink alcohol in public places so our policy doesn’t specifically state that you can’t drink beer in the library.   Marijuana use would fall into the same category.  Of course staff need to know what is illegal to enforce the policy!
All this being said, I suspect we are in for an interesting transition period, statewide, as we enter the murky world of legal (on a state basis, if not federal) marijuana.  It’s good to be thinking about it.   I’m curious if libraries in Colorado or Washington have had any issues with this?  I have not heard of any, but?

Carolyn

Carolyn Rawles
Library Director
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library