[Libs-Or] Policies and Pot

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:14:26 PST 2015

I actually think that, on the whole,  this has been a good discussion.
Information about how libraries are planning on not adding policies but
think current policies work was good.  The sharing of actual information
about the law was helpful. Information on the OLA workshop and the
discussion about there possibly being a need to improve and update our
collections sure was a good reminder for me.

In some ways it is kind of hard not to have a little fun with the subject.
I mean, it's pot.

We currently have issues with some illegal activities that happen in and
around our buildings that we do actually need to address and, for me, drug
dealing has been one of those issues.  I just had to put in surveillance
cameras at the small Siletz Library to discourage some of the drug dealing
going on. People were basically blocking one of the main doors while
waiting for their dealer to show up.  This is the door right off of the
parking lot.  Many people were uncomfortable walking past the congregation
of drug buyers. I really don't like surveillance cameras and we didn't put
them inside the building.

Within a week of putting in the cameras the drug group moved next door,
behind the post office. The staff have also noticed a very significant
decrease in littering outside the library, including a significant decrease
in cigarette butts.

This is a town with  no city police and only occasional visits from the
county sheriff's department.  That patrolling is mostly on the highway side
of the building and not the parking lot side. So, even though the actual
drug dealer has been reported to the sheriff's department the problem was
just getting worse all the time.  The third broken library window was
really the last straw.

The thing is, probably very little of this relates to marijuana. The drugs
being distributed are probably crack or heroin.

Drugs are some of the many things we end up having to deal with and having
a good discussion about how to keep staff and patrons safe and at the same
time not judging people and their choices is a good discussion to have.