[Libs-Or] when to call 911 for medical intervention when patron says no

Leah Griffith leah.griffith at newbergoregon.gov
Sat Nov 14 12:57:46 PST 2015

We call 911 and our fire/ems come and they make the assessment and deal with the person if they refuse transport.    Obviously, when it is something minor we try to use good judgement (would we call if it was our child with the injury), but we've been faced with those situations too.

Because we have a combined fire/ems there is no charge to the patron unless they are transported so we aren't forcing a $1,000 bill on someone who regularly has medical issues that are alarming to us, but a normal everyday occurrence for them.

We also tell the patron that we are calling because we need to for our policies and that there is no charge to have the fire/ems come over.  That usually makes them ok with it.

Leah
Leah M. Griffith, Director
Newberg Public Library
503 E. Hancock Street     Newberg, OR   97132
P 503-537-1256