[Libs-Or] FW: Question about ILL practices

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Thu Apr 14 10:44:03 PDT 2016

Hi Deborah,

Here's the ILL portion of our circulation policy:

"The library will attempt to meet the needs of its patrons primarily by developing a
diverse collection. However, in the event that the library’s circulating and
reference materials are inadequate to meet a particular need, the library will,
upon patron request, attempt to borrow desired materials from libraries outside
of the Oceanbooks Network. The library will honor other lending institution’s
policies, including loan periods, replacement charges, non-renewal, and
in-library use restrictions.

Because the library does not attempt to support major research and does not have the staff resources to do so, patrons may not place more than six interlibrary loan requests at a time. Cardholders may not borrow more than fifty items via interlibrary loan in a calendar year. Only Driftwood Public Library cardholders may place interlibrary loan requests through Driftwood Public Library. Temporary cardholders and Passport cardholders may not place interlibrary loan requests. In order to preserve borrowing relationships with other lending institutions, individuals with overdue interlibrary loan items will not be allowed to check out additional interlibrary loan items until the overdue item is returned. Additionally, new interlibrary loan requests will not be processed until overdue interlibrary loan items are returned.

The library will not charge fees for interlibrary loans, except in the case of patrons who fail to pick up ordered materials on more than two occasions. Driftwood Public Library will not borrow materials from institutions that charge an interlibrary loan fee unless the patron agrees to pay the lending institution’s fee.

In filling interlibrary loan requests from other libraries, Driftwood Public Library will process all such requests in a timely fashion. In order to best serve its own patrons, the library will not loan high-demand items or items less than six months old."

The charge for regularly failing to pick up ILL items is $5 per item. I can't remember the last time we actually charged someone, but we like having the option.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS

Library Director

Driftwood Public Library

801 SW Hwy 101, #201