[Libs-Or] Any ideas for marketing a self-published book?

Marta Murvosh murvosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 09:43:06 PST 2016

Karen,
Tell our friend: A good professional review is the key to get librarians in the region or even across the country to buy the book by an unknown author. And when librarians like a book, we talk it up, helping generate buzz.

Here's the links for submitting to Library Journal and School Library Journal for reviews, follow these links:
http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/about/submitting-titles-for-review/?ref=lj-abouthttp://www.slj.com/about-us/review-submissions/

Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, and Booklist all have similar pages and a similar process.

If it's an ebook, Library Journal launched Self-e this year. It's a curated list sent on a regular basis to libraries that opt in to the program. Also LJ just posted the best of Self-e list last week, which generates buzz. Self-e may help libraries find the signal in the noise that is self publishing. http://self-e.libraryjournal.com/ (Full disclosure, I still freelance for Library Journal and School Library Journal on occasion.)

Some books that might be helpful:
   - The fine print of self-publishing : a primer on contracts, printing costs, royalties, distribution, e-books, and marketing / Mark Levine.
   - Writing children's books for dummies / by Lisa Rojany Buccieri and Peter Economy.

If he's selling out of state, he might want to consider a business relationship with a distributor, such as Baker & Taylor and Ingram to make it easier for libraries to buy.

Also, and this is only my opinion, he really, really, really should consider having someone who is good at guerrilla marketing revise the copy on his website. Less is more online, and good marketing copy leaves people wanting more.

Maybe he can find a marketing student looking to take on a project. The American Marketing Association often has chapters on campuses and they take on projects for nonprofits and other groups. The AMA student chapter and a marketing professor or if the journalism school includes advertising copywriting, he could approach those professors. PRSA is the public relations professional association and they have student chapters. He needs to find someone who gets his vision and can make it work online.

Marta
 Marta Murvosh, MLS
librarian and freelance writer
murvosh at yahoo.com