[Libs-Or] FW: Hoopla Sustainability

Ted Smith t.smith at newportlibrary.org
Tue Jun 20 16:06:36 PDT 2017

Hi all.  My library started using Hoopla about three years ago.  We originally started with a $6,000 base and circulation costs were subtracted with each checkout.  The first year started slowly and we had money left at the end of the year, so I only added $5,000 for year two.  Well, heck we went through almost $12,000 in Hoopla circs last year - I had to steal from other line to keep up with Hoopla use -- and I've put in about $20,000 for this coming Fiscal Year.  At approximately $2.00 per circ this model is unsustainable.  We only allow our patrons 4 circ per month, but my use just keeps going up.

Questions:

1.      Are any of you having this kind of success/problem?

2.      Have any of you negotiated any kind of side deal to bring these costs down?

3.      Is there a possibility we could negotiate as a larger group to get the per circ price lowered.  I'm not interested in forming another consortium, just is seeing if we can all negotiate better individual contracts.

Hoopla should know that their model is not sustainable and that eventually we - or at least Newport - will have to freeze, cut back or drop Hoopla.   Thoughts?

Ted Smith, Director
Newport Public Library
Newport, OR 97365
541.574.0600