[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: SOCIAL MEDIA – Save Facebook Videos... Survey Contest Winners

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Dec 5 10:54:32 PST 2019

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the both the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/save-facebook-items-to-read-watch-or-view-later.html> and the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/how-can-i-help.html> online instead!
When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for BOTH.

Want to keep a video, ad or post
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=3022d177-84c5-42d5-beae-ba8511c632ce&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2019 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: SOCIAL MEDIA
1. VIDEO ... Save Facebook Items to Read or View Later
2. ARTICLE ... Save Facebook Items to Read or View Later
3. COMMUNICATING ... "How Can I Help?"

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/7e4e18f9-3b6b-4437-bf35-79a9d1c11a41.png]

2019 Survey Winners Announced!
Amazon Gift Cards

Congratulations to:
Carrie Morgan, St. Johns College (FL)
Ryan McGinnis, Cook Memorial Library (OR)
Dawn Sedorus, Southern Cayuga Central School (NY)

Thank you for the great input! We received exactly 800 responses giving us great ideas and insight. We'll pull that all together and give you the results shortly.

Tech-Talk TIP: We used the free tool at Random.org<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjX6USDpThws9g4lEtpwHsNlQXvbHZhMKX6pWHJLwqT-CECwIrlf09Ln8hlOxnTX4G7u2-_4OUnIS64t4G1gB7JnOaPTPWAWBqYnhXyzIJ_MibpNP5qfMq_AVuopaLgRuU08__zzWExx5U=&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==> to select the three winners, to avoid bias. Learn more in this Tech-Talk article<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjX6USDpThws9g4lEtpwHsNlQXvbHZhMKX6pWHJLwqT-CECwIrlf09Ln8hlOxnTX4G7u2-_4OUnIS64t4G1gB7JnOaPTPWAWBqYnhXyzIJ_MibpNP5qfMq_AVuopaLgRuU08__zzWExx5U=&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>!

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/0ec7411b-c005-4bd2-98bb-56a172114297.jpg]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjXnas-PqNHl8y9ntAtgGxQKnf37x3k4yUARiPL8fgAShDoUUwwcOEWXag23EAYyVKDNAs0VP3VV5JlCUIgGiiaeVZAuJ-PxeHOipAD4li1mgocQruGL8W9H2HNu58TCWsjAK69M17zRAzpEEKRh_1hIg==&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>

Photo by Ethan Hu<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjXF7E0JYdptg6E0nlJiez77npS7E9OvoT1Vxe9dx2PRIyVKRUdbzeV1ciiH6C-X0qzgE6SqG2RTjE9TzPxAof119kvP7j76Fi7UfIl-amYQ-TdpUmM9ez4Z2ATUO63RjQtRwXSRiVog_96xV7mBVpOB_f2ZtOtUilRqJkdk8ovXrptjhD94Utf_6wUFT28mM7ALCpmHzQug3k=&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjXZSl0NiPEIShvK6CUZaR3c2tqlaBRN73CDVQOEk4SVa0_C-KAv_EplOiF3c_LxL6ng5ZweO8iGDqBtDv-hP1mnIJR0O1jFrXaBoMTcLrQjE4HmkwiT03hRV8KGo792wDaBUyRkpPWhZEwXD_saN3pHWQQn4A4BE959L-AnwdEpIzqzkIirGcHdv_rQPBlXshaPDg7iTaNiIwuZ0IICtN4fg==&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxniKrSCwVreQGRG0Pi76Z6zeDmkYFI4tT2XLV7ByGxxVi2NA0N5DzgO4gdl2zW1UNd2VytWrwhCVZJMpDQgKzBQv9CFZCbTSRanfqmgxVpWc&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

SOCIAL MEDIA - Save Facebook Items to Read or View Later
Intermediate

[Save FB post]

I was sitting in the waiting room as my car was getting an oil change the other day. I started scrolling through Facebook and saw a post with a video that I wanted to watch. I didn't have my earbuds with me, and it would be rude to play the video out loud and bother the other people around me.

If I waited until I got back home to watch it, I would probably forget, or not be able to find it later as Facebook seems to refresh my feed with new content pretty quickly. I remembered that my daughter told me there was a way to "Save" videos, articles and even ads so that you can find them later.

And… Facebook not only has a way to save items, but you can organize them into "Collections."

When you see posts that you'd like to view at another time like these… you can "save" them:

[Save FB product]

·     Educational or funny videos
·     Interesting articles
·     Recipes you may want to try
·     Ads for products to purchase
·     Events you might wish to attend
·     Posts from colleagues, family or friends

Rest assured, when you save something on Facebook, it is private. Only you can see it (unless you choose to share a "collection" with someone… more on that later).

Facebook "Saved" Items

[Save post]

When you find a post you want to refer back to later, you can tag it as Saved.

To save a Post:

1.  On either a computer the smartphone app, when viewing the post, click the three dots in the upper right corner.
2.  Depending on the type of post, select either Save Post, Save Link, Save Product or Save Video.

[Save Event or Page]

To save a Page or Event:

1.  Go to the Page or event.
2.  Click the three dots in the upper right corner.
3.  Select Save.

To remove an item from your Saved Items list, hover over the post in the list and click the X that appears in the upper right. Or click on the three dots in the saved listing and click Unsave.

View Posts in Your Saved List

[Saved]

On a Laptop or Computer:

1.  In the left column under Explore, click Saved on the left side of News Feed. If you don't see it, click on "See More…" Or, go to facebook.com/saved<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxo5o1_9vNwjX6Ild-A-4ycoZ7gq8-tQ-TT6cLPzR_kmXg0U2AXWTeM9EpJyyy-Sn8EZvgKeUl6O0_tiK3_tRUVdJf6P3aFYPBA==&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>
2.  Your items will be listed. You can use the "All" drop-down list to sort them by types of posts.
3.  Or if you have created Collections they are sorted at the top under those categories.

Using the Smartphone App:

You'll be able to access saved items by clicking on the three horizontal lines at the bottom right of the screen.

Create Collection to Organize Your Saved Posts

Facebook may have taken a cue from Pinterest in how they have built a way to organize saved items with Collections. If you only keep an occasional post, you may not need to use this feature. But if you're a power Facebook user, Categories will come in handy.

For example, in the image below under "My Collections," you'll see I've created a few: Gift Ideas, Quotes and Videos. These are listed in the left menu and at the top of the Collections page.

[Facebook Collections]

You can create a Collection before adding posts to it, or as you save a post.
To "pre-organize" and create a Collection (or many), go to your Saved posts:

1.  Click the blue +New Collection button (or the Create button from the app).
2.  Enter a Name for your Collection.
3.  Click Create.

[Create Collections]

Add a Post to a Collection

To add something to a Collection that you've already saved:

1.  Go to your Saved items.
2.  In the item you want to add, click Add to Collection (or in the app, click the three dots in the post).
3.  Select the Collection you want to add the item to.

Designate a Collection as you Save your post:

1.  When you are saving the post initially, you'll be prompted to "Add to a Collection."
2.  Click the link and select the Collection you want to add the item to.

[Save to a collection]

You can add items to more than one collection.

To rename or delete a collection, click the three dots, then enter a new name or click Delete Collection.

Invite Someone to a Collection

Your Saved items and Collections are private. However, you do have the option to share a Collection with specific friends, colleagues or family (or you may be invited to a collection by someone else). For example, I may want to share recipes and motivational quotes with my exercise group.

When you share a collection, everyone invited to it can view, comment and add items. These posts remain private and can only be viewed by people that have been invited to the Collection.

To Share a Collection:

1.  Go to the Saved page.
2.  Click on the Collection you want to share.
3.  On the right, in the Add Contributors window, type in a Facebook friend's name.

[Facebook Collectioins]

You will be listed as the Collection Owner, with other people designated as Contributors. To remove someone, just click the Remove button next to their name.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Build Trust
"How Can I Help?"

I've been watching the medical drama "New Amsterdam" that was inspired by the oldest public hospital in America, Bellevue Hospital in New York. The main character, Director Dr. Max Goodwin, is 100% patient-focused. In almost every episode, he asks, "How can I help?"

[How can I help]

Of course, for television, the solutions he proposes are out-of-the-box and go against traditional hospital policy.

But what kind of positive results could be motivated if we started thinking more like Dr. Goodwin?

Colleague: "I'm having trouble meeting my deadline."
You: "How can I help?"

Student: “I'm not sure about this assignment.”
Teacher: "How can I help?"

Colleague: "We don't have enough money for that idea."
You: "How can I help?"

Now of course you can't manifest time or money out of thin air, but brainstorming some creative solutions may lead to a surprising outcome. Offering to help can trigger useful conversations.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxginQj10Fu9hKHMnYypokHdCNGqW7azQ1QVHC1ykIbzHg6mrlxFf91Cu-TIcCdfqpMQMlX-jLmGrhd7TF3IsV5zO2rtEDaoI2w4KM0lSLPyk&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0015qjix0QEUNbnQ19jB_66LlB2PAW-sUHQbdT3suNIRSaDyPEgaqKOxlqHTgptGuw3XAEtW4vAcI0Q_QeGlBXxC4BZP1u3i0Yh9ACdPbu1QLSBclw0artwkwoIMTgoB91kScxFEYdhm5m5muCNjSDu5s3pO__cc-onu7bjO7le8dM=&c=xlTiqbL0GCVETWrsiT6HdovYE7_wiiwh58yDZbN9NAjjesVYRWj_ww==&ch=jWqIXoPA4ot0LkZ9LikrlAW5ZcyvxWAyLpbEXmdG3kjCOCvpSTi8HQ==>

Copyright 1996-2019 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on TechTalk or Libs-OR mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]