[Libs-Or] Position Announcement: Public Services Unit Supervisor for Special Collections and Archives Research Center at Oregon State University Libraries

Edmunson-Morton, Tiah Tiah.Edmunson-morton at oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:10:37 PST 2019

Position Announcement: Public Services Unit Supervisor
The Special Collections and Archives Research Center at Oregon State University Libraries seeks a service-oriented, user-focused Public Services Unit Supervisor with a strong commitment to access to lead our public services operations. Reporting to the Director of the Special Collections and Archives Research Center, the Public Services Unit Supervisor has primary responsibility for managing and coordinating all reading room and remote reference activities. In conjunction with department colleagues, this position provides effective research support, optimizes access systems, and proposes new services and workflows as appropriate.

  *   See https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/72882 for full description and information about Oregon State University.
  *   Applications should be submitted online through https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/.

The successful candidate will demonstrate ability for and commitment to providing responsive, personable, and expert public service. The Public Services Unit Supervisor will join a dynamic team of professionals dedicated to collaboratively advancing the Center’s educational and access missions. Working closely with curators and other department staff, the Supervisor interacts positively and inclusively with students, faculty, and the public, guiding users in how to find, use, and evaluate relevant resources, explaining techniques, policies, and procedures, and empowering individuals to conduct archival research. The Supervisor is a professional faculty member in the Oregon State University Libraries and Press, developing and nurturing relationships with colleagues inside and outside the library, and participates in shared governance of OSULP and OSU.

The position supervises one Library Technician 3 classified position and a rotation of student assistants with public service duties. The position mobilizes these resources and others to establish a welcoming and secure environment, data-driven operations, and public service excellence in a lively special collections environment.

The Special Collections and Archives Research Center is located on the 5th floor of The Valley Library, and features secure, climate-controlled storage, exhibit spaces, a lively reading room, dedicated classrooms, and professional digital production unit. SCARC faculty and staff work to maximize discoverability and use of our collections for a broad range of researchers, through teaching, expert public services, digitization, and more. SCARC stimulates and enriches the research and teaching endeavors of Oregon State University through primary sources. As part of the University's land grant mission, SCARC makes these resources available to the OSU community, Oregonians, and the larger community of scholars and independent researchers. As the repository for and steward of the Libraries' rare and unique materials, we build distinctive and unique collections in our signature areas: natural resources, the history of science, university history, and Oregon's multicultural communities; we are also home to the Oregon Hops and Brewing Archives and the OSU Queer Archives. These collections encompass manuscripts, archives, rare books, oral histories, photographs, ephemera, audio/visual materials, electronic and born digital records.