[Libs-Or] Volunteers - Policy or Procedure

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Wed Mar 6 11:56:25 PST 2019

Hi Mark:

While the resources list is a bit dated, you may want to check out the "Volunteers in Libraries" web page provided by ALA.
http://www.ala.org/tools/volunteers-libraries

This page has a bullet list of legal issues that should be addressed when using volunteers in library operations. Many of these are covered in general personnel policies, but it is a good idea to make sure that volunteers are explicitly mentioned in local personnel policies.

The State Library also has several books in our Library and Information Science Collection about library volunteers<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/results?qu=Volunteer+workers+in+libraries.>, so you may want to review those as well.

--Arlene

Arlene Weible, MLS
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
arlene.weible at state.or.us<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>