[Libs-Or] Upcoming Webinars for the New Year - Save the Date!

HANNING Darci * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Dec 17 13:33:56 PST 2020

Greetings! You may want to save the dates for the following webinars from the State Library of Oregon, WebJunction, Infopeople, and Tech-Talk:

eLive, A New Technique for Engaging Students While Teaching Content (Hosted by Tech-Talk)
Wednesday January 6, 2021, 12:00 pm Pacific

[INTERMEDIATE] We will be introducing a technique to use while teaching content (live or online) to increase engagement... if they have individual and instant online access. More details to com...

Registration is limited to those associated with an Oregon library, use the Tech-Talk username/password to register<https://www.tech-talk.com/webinars>. (Need the password? Contact Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> or check the latest Tech-Talk newsletter)

Evaluating Virtual Programs and Events (Hosted by Infopeople)
Wednesday January 6, 2021, 12:00pm Pacific
A California Libraries Learn Webinar hosted by Infopeople, presented by: Janie Hermann
Registration: https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=951&reset=1

Libraries have quickly pivoted in the last several months to moving their programs and events to a virtual environment. The early months were about figuring out "the how" and getting new routines in place. Now it is time to find meaningful ways to evaluate and assess the success of what we are offering. How does program success in a virtual world differ from in person programs and events? What data should we collect? How do we get feedback? These questions and more will be explored in this webinar.

Additionally, Meg DePriest, from the California State Library, will share briefly about the Public Library Survey and what data elements are there for Virtual Programming.

This webinar will be of interest to: Library staff who want to be able to collect data from virtual events. Some of the content may be specific to California libraries. California Libraries Learn (CALL) is a collaborative project of the California Library Association and the California State Library, and is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.

Proactive Advocacy and Communication for Library Trustees and Staff (Hosted by WebJunction)
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 12:00 pm PT
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/proactive-advocacy-communication-library-trustees-staff.html

Rally the troops, consolidate the message, and get it out there! These common and important steps are all part of the response when there's a crisis challenging the library. But what can we do the rest of the time, before a crisis arises? Using both outward and inward facing tools, there are simple steps that boards and library staff can integrate into their communication processes, to be better prepared for unknown changes. Learn about these tools and how they can set the stage for dealing more effectively with any crisis your library faces in the future.

This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL) and will be presented by: Lori Fisher, Assistant State Librarian/Administrator of Library Operations, New Hampshire State Library

Shared Learning: Providing Trauma-Informed Services in Small and Rural Libraries (Hosted by the State Library)
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 2:00 pm

How can staff in small and rural libraries adopt a trauma-informed approach without access to the resources that a larger library or a library in an urban community may have? That's just what several Oregon librarians set out to learn by participating in a recent Infopeople course, "Providing Trauma-Informed Services in Small and Rural Libraries." Come listen to their take-aways and hopefully leave with some of your own! Hosted by the State Library of Oregon.

No registration required, please join via Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86208627126 or join by phone:
*         669-900-6833 US (San Jose)
*         253-215-8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 862 0862 7126

I Didn't Know I was a Veteran, A Veterans Connect Webinar hosted by Infopeople, and presented by:  Kristen Mulvihill
Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 12:00p PT
Registration: https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=952&reset=1

Understanding veterans and where they come from is a large part of what we do in public libraries, especially in terms of being an inclusive and welcoming hub of information for people from all walks of life. Starting a conversation with a veteran can be difficult, however, if we don't know who they are. And sometimes veterans don't even know who they are. Others don't think they have the right to ask for resources. Others just don't want to talk about their past. But the veteran population in California remains the largest in the United States. There are an estimated 19.5 million veterans in the United States, and most of us are a veteran, or have a veteran family member, or are friends with a veteran. Organizations and resources available to veterans are constantly changing. Especially now, as many people are seeking new employment after the pandemic has affected job security throughout the country, it is vital for librarians to understand the veteran community - veteran service organizations providing resources and the people who seek them.

This webinar will cover aspects of veteran culture, how to tap into some amazing tools to help them connect with the wider veteran community, and how to add to our outreach efforts so that our long-term mission in public libraries always includes serving those who have served.

This webinar will be of interest to:  Library staff seeking resources for underserved populations, including the diversity of people who have served in the military and the people who care about them.

Veterans Connect is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.

Resources for Wellbeing: Toolkit Tour for Rural & Small Libraries (Hosted by WebJunction)
Friday, February 5, 2021, 11:00 am PT
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/resources-for-wellbeing.html

Social wellbeing, individuals living the good life in a thriving community, is something public libraries can influence! Join these rural library directors for a tour of the most popular tools for helping libraries improve social wellbeing in their communities created from the Rural Library Service & Social Wellbeing Project<https://rurallibraries.org/> research. Learn from library directors who leverage all available resources to create feelings of delight, power, cultural identity, and belonging for community residents with outstanding results. Participants will leave understanding key actions libraries can take to improve social wellbeing outcomes in their own communities, both immediately, and over the long haul.

Cheers!
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3491 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/playlists>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

[cid:image001.png at 01D6CFDE.055627B0]