[Libs-Or] Curbside Service

Jan Ayers jan at coastlinelibrarynetwork.org
Mon Jun 29 20:38:14 PDT 2020

Bandon Public Library is currently offering curbside service on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10:30 a to 12:30 p and 4p to 6p and Friday and Saturday from 10:30a-12:30p and 3:30-4:30p.

We schedule (10) appointments per half hour. Materials are pre-checked out to patrons and are bagged. We are handing out the bags through a small awning-style window. Because the window opens out from the bottom, it acts as a sneeze guard which gives us extra protection. It is also set back from the curb on the other side of a cheerful bed of daisies and giant clover. Atmosphere is everything.

Patrons are instructed to maintain proper physical distancing and to not approach the window until the previous patron has cleared the area. Generally, patrons arrive by car and park at the curb, walk out of their car and up to the window. Sometimes a line of cars form. The cars provide physical distancing. Some arrive on foot, or by bike, but are always respectful to keep their distance. We are a small town, so we generally know all our patrons.

Patrons call when a hold triggers an email notice. Additionally, staff will contact the patron to set up an appointment. We take phone calls between 10 and 7 Tuesday to Thursday and 10-5 on Friday and Saturday. Most patrons place holds online, but some prefer to avail themselves of our reader’s advisory services. We also accept email orders.

Generally, 2 staff members take care of the day’s check out of materials. The second staff member will then begin to work the window while multitasking by pulling holds hourly and shelving; our dispensary window is adjacent to the stacks. A third staff member spends the first hour or so cleaning materials that are due out of quarantine, but will return to help with making and receiving phone calls. It’s all hands on deck in those busy morning hours. The afternoon goes more smoothly.

We currently have 3 full and 2 part time people working the 5 days per week that we are open. Everyone chips in, in addition to their own duties. Although we have the ability to serve 60-80 patrons per day, we are probably currently operating at about 50-75% depending on the day and people's memory.

Jan Ayers, Library Assistant

Bandon Public Library

541-347-3221