[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Amy Coughenour | Database Promotion at the Intersection of Electronic Resource Management and Outreach

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Wed Oct 21 12:08:30 PDT 2020

Amy Coughenour is the Electronic Resources Librarian at the State Library
of Oregon. Please download and read her latest article, “Database Promotion
at the Intersection of Electronic Resource Management and Outreach," by Amy
Coughenour, here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol26_iss2_4
<http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol26_iss2_4%20>

>From Amy’s article, “During the electronic resource management cycle,
library staff review, acquire, evaluate, and deactivate databases based on
a number of factors that include usage statistics, collection development
decisions, and budgetary factors. One aspect of electronic resource
management that has increased in the Government Information and Library
Services division is our promotion of new, updated, or existing databases
to our state employee users.

This article discusses a pilot project designed to promote the use of the
Safari database (now known as O’Reilly). It shares the steps we took to
plan and implement outreach activities focused on the database, along with
how we created goals and measures to evaluate and assess the success of the
promotion.”

Amy Coughenour has worked in libraries for over 10 years in areas including
virtual reference, reference, instruction, distance education, scholarly
communication, outreach, and electronic resource management. After starting
in virtual reference and academic libraries, she now supports state
government employees as the Electronic Resources Librarian for the
Government Information and Library Services division of the State Library
of Oregon.

Thank you,

Charles Wood

OLA Quarterly Coordinator