[Libs-Or] Providing computer support during COVID

Karen Hill karenh at wccls.org
Fri Oct 30 16:05:06 PDT 2020

Computer sessions:

  *   Cornelius is allowing people to make an appointment to use a computer during our 5 hour daily service hours.
  *   Up to 45 min each
  *   Overlapping 2 appointments each starting at a different time (every half hour).
  *   1 user, no children

PPE:

  *   We require masks, hands sprayed with sanitizer or gloves (we provide).
  *   We don’t have partitions, but set the users apart among 11 pcs.
  *   We clean and put the pc out of order after use for the day (keyboard, mouse, table, chair)

Most people need at least 30 min to log in, get to wherever and enter data. We are seeing many people applying for help to different agencies. Some checking email, etc. Printing and scanning have also been popular. At least half the people require some kind of assistance:

  *   New cards or guest passes
  *   How to print/copy instructions
  *   Low tech skills

Mostly, we have our full-time, regular staff (not part-time aides) helping these folks. They wear mask and gloves. They avoid instruction, but many users need some real basic help with the needs above. It’s unavoidable. It’s impossible to maintain 6’ when trying to look at their screen or show them how to place an id on the copier. We do have face shields staff can wear also. We don’t have any vulnerable staff do this assignment.

Karen L. Hill | Library Director
Cornelius Public Library | City of Cornelius

karenh at wccls.org | http://www.ci.cornelius.or.us/library
503-357-4093 (Library) | 503-992-5381 (Direct)
Follow us on Twitter @CORLibrary and Facebook: CorneliusPublicLibrary
Member of Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS) | http://www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org/>