[Libs-Or] Announcing Northwest Digital Heritage!

FUQUA Ross * SLO Ross.FUQUA at slo.oregon.gov
Tue May 25 09:39:03 PDT 2021

Hello all,
Sorry for cross-posting, but.... we have big news!

We are incredibly excited and honored to announce the launch of a new program at the State Library of Oregon, Department of Library Services & Development!

Northwest Digital Heritage<https://www.northwestdigitalheritage.org/> (NWDH) is a new joint effort between the State Library of Oregon, the Oregon Heritage Commission, and the Washington State Library (Office of the Washington Secretary of State). NWDH now serves as one of the newest service hubs of the Digital Public Library of America<https://dp.la/> (DPLA), a national discovery platform which aggregates over 40 million historical and cultural items from digital collections throughout the United States. Our hub currently aggregates more than 85,000 digitized items from over 70 contributing institutions across Oregon and Washington, with plans to grow and expand in the coming months and years. Contributing institutions include the Oregon Historical Society, Multnomah County Library, Densho, Seattle Public Library, Spokane Public Library, and the State Library of Oregon as well as many, many others. Oregon and Washington collections can be viewed together here<https://dp.la/search?partner=%22Northwest%20Digital%20Heritage%22>.

The State Library of Oregon will be working closely with the Oregon Heritage Commission to provide training, tools, guidance, and technology infrastructure to Oregon communities who have cultural heritage collections to share. This partnership is the result of ongoing conversations which began (well before and) during a 2015 Northwest Digital Collections Summit<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/c.php?g=827879&p=5911069> hosted by the State Library of Oregon, and was also greatly informed by a 2018 Oregon Digital Collections Survey<https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/OH/Documents/Digital_Heritage_Collections_Results.pdf> conducted by the Oregon Heritage Commission. As we develop a model for serving Oregon libraries, museums, and other cultural heritage organizations, this new program will leverage many strengths of the Washington Rural Heritage<https://washingtonruralheritage.org/> digitization program of the Washington State Library - a highly successful effort that has helped reveal and provide virtual access to a multitude of collections from diverse communities throughout Washington.

Northwest Digital Heritage is funded by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funding from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). The Oregon and Washington state libraries administer this funding to enhance library services throughout the region. Additional funding is provided through the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Oregon Heritage Commission, as well as the Oregon Cultural Trust.

I'll be your point of contact for NWDH for libraries in Oregon, so please reach out to me with your questions and input.
Cheers!

Ross Fuqua, MA, MLIS (he/him)
Data & Digital Projects Consultant
State Library of Oregon
ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3551
northwestdigitalheritage.org
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01D75148.58755A60]<https://www.northwestdigitalheritage.org/>  [cid:image002.png at 01D75148.58755A60] <http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>