[OYAN] Ideas for programs at a teen treatment program

Keli Yeats keliy at multcolib.org
Thu Jun 20 14:39:49 PDT 2019

What about printmaking
<https://theartofeducation.edu/2018/08/31/8-inspiring-printmaking-ideas-for-your-classroom-this-year/>
 or screen printing
<https://modpodgerocksblog.com/i-finally-screen-printed-with-mod-podge/>?
Stressballs
<https://patch.com/us/dealtown/buy-or-diy-how-make-squishy-stress-ball>,
slime <https://www.homesciencetools.com/article/how-to-make-slime/>, and
ooblek <https://www.livescience.com/21536-oobleck-recipe.html> have been
very popular with our youth. If you want to go STEM, paper circuits
<https://www.makerspaces.com/paper-circuits/> and Snap Circuits
<https://www.elenco.com/brand/snap-circuits/> have a pretty low entry level
to the idea of circuits. You can also make throwies
<https://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/>. I usually just use tape
instead of the glue. Epoxy would most definitely count as an inhalant.

Keli Yeats, Teen Librarian
(prefered pronouns: she, her, hers)

Rockwood Library
503-988-3596
Sun     11:05-5:05
Mon     11:05-8:05
Wed     9:05-6:05
Thu      9:05-6:05

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 3:36 PM Heather Jones via OYAN <
oyan at listsmart.osl.state.or.us> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am planning some outreach programs at an inpatient substance abuse and
> mental health treatment facility for teens.  As you can imagine there are
> many restrictions on what supplies can be brought into the facility, and
> the teens also have very limited personal space to keep craft items we may
> create during the program. Some of the limitations are no inhalants or
> alcohol based products, no string longer than 4 inches, no paracord, no
> metal wires or staples, and limited very monitored use of scissors. At any
> time there are up to 20 teens in this program and I would like to offer
> some fun and creative activities for them. Does anyone have any ideas of
> great programs that would work well or could be adapted for these students?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Heather R. Jones
>
> Teen Services Librarian
>
> Crook County Library
>
> 541-447-7978 x 320
>
> hjones at crooklib.org
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law.  If you are not the addressee or it appears from the
> context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please
> advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and
> immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.

[This email was encrypted for your privacy and security]