[PL-Directors] Ready to Read Grant Impact Survey

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Mon Nov 15 09:58:14 PST 2010

Dear Public Library Directors:

As we continue the 2011-2013 budget process in these difficult times, we are concerned that the State Library might face additional cuts to the Ready to Read grant program. In fact, we are concerned that the Ready to Read grant program may be taken out of the State Library budget altogether. The State Library Board submitted a budget to Governor Kulongoski in August and we expect to hear from him in early December about the budget he would submit to the Legislature in January. The newly elected Governor is required to present a budget to the Legislature by February 1st and will probably work from the budget approved by Governor Kulongoski. In anticipation of these budget conversations we are asking you to provide us with information about how losing the Ready to Read grant would impact the services you provide in your community.

We have developed a short survey http://library.state.or.us/services/surveys/survey.php?sid=879
which we are asking you to complete by December 1st. We have asked you to estimate the impact for 2012, if you had not received a check in December 2011. Please use the grant amount you received in December 2009, if you need to confirm that amount you can go to
 http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/youthsvcs/aboutready.shtml#Project_Descriptions

We appreciate you taking the time to complete the survey, we expect that this information will prove valuable in conversations with the Governor's office and the legislature. If you have questions or concerns please contact me.

MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Library Development Program Manager
Oregon State Library