[Sora] FW: Incentives for survey participation

Jerry Curry jerry.w.curry at state.or.us
Mon Nov 21 15:58:18 PST 2016

From: BETTS Chris [mailto:Chris.BETTS at dhsoha.state.or.us]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 3:41 PM
To: Jerry Curry <JerryCurry at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>; sora at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: RE: Incentives for survey participation

Jerry, Et Al,
The Department of Human Services has many years of experience in this area.
Incentivizing employees or business partners to complete internal surveys by offering a material benefit is of course against policy, but we have designed surveys of external customers (clients) where a random drawing for a $25 grocery card to a local retail merchant is offered. We believe the randomness of the drawing helps increase participation, but does so without introducing bias because participants who opt for the drawing don't know if they'll win and don't know who else has opted for the drawing. Another way to incentivize survey participation is to explain how taking the survey will benefit the participant. You can explain this in the introduction page of the survey or inside the email invitation (if an e-mail campaign is used).

Survey participation and obtaining statistically significant response rates is always a challenge, especially these days when it seems everyone wants people to complete a survey on one topic or another. Survey fatigue is an ongoing issue that we try to minimize at DHS. We do this by avoiding overlapping surveys whenever possible and try to allow some time between surveys of the same population when possible.

[Also: I think OAM 10.40.10 provides policy guidance on expenditures for non-travel food and refreshments]

I hope this helps,
Christopher Betts, OPMA, RNG
Senior Project Manager
Oregon Department of Human services
Office of Business Intelligence
Survey Administration Services
503-945-6097 Desk
503-507-8140 Mobile
Chris.betts at dhsoha.state.or.us<mailto:Chris.betts at dhsoha.state.or.us>

[DHS Oregon Department of Human Services]<http://dhsdesign.hr.state.or.us/index.html>

Please let us know how we're doing! Feel free to provide feedback about our services using the following link:
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2122236/DHS-Internal-Customer-Satisfaction-Survey (Select "Office of Business Intelligence" in the drop-down at the beginning of the survey)