[Libs-Or] Upcoming Learning Opportunities (FREE)

HANNING Darci * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Jun 20 10:44:10 PDT 2024

Hello  library community!

Here's a quick reminder about learning resources available through the State Library and other organizations:

Be sure to visit the State Library of Oregon's CE website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted> for more learning resources and the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> which also includes links to the PDF<https://maine-msl.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=76010632> and online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions of this month's free events listed by category (compiled by the Maine State Library hosted by WebJunction).

Oregon Libraries: Register Now!

The State Library of Oregon is pleased to offer the following three webinars from the series "Professional Productivity with ChatGPT + AI Bootcamp: Practical and Effective Use of Artificial Intelligence at Work<https://www.learningrevolution.com/professional-productivity?mc_cid=92cb02bec7>" free of charge to Oregon library workers and staff:

  *   Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "The Basics: An Overview of ChatGPT, LLMS, and AI"
  *   Friday, July 19, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "Professional Productivity with AI"
  *   Friday, July 26, 2024, 11:00a - 12:00p PT: "ChatGPT and AI for Business Development And Training"

Additionally, Laurie Bridges (OSU Libraries) will present on Ethics and AI the first week of August (details forthcoming) followed by a 30 minute Q&A session.

All four webinars will be recorded and available in the Oregon Library Staff academy shortly after each live event. Oregon Libraries Only: Please use this registration form to receive webinar access information:

https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/RequestRegistrationForAIBootcampJuly2024

Free Online Conferences:

June 27, 2024, 12:00 - 2:30 pm PT, Teaching and Learning with AI<https://www.learningrevolution.com/teaching-and-learning-with-ai> (Learning Revolution)

While AI technologies have many dramatic benefits, there are also challenges and concerns expressed by professionals, students, and educators about the impact of these new technologies on teaching and learning and the information ecosystem as a whole. Some are reasonably concerned about protecting privacy and confidentiality of students while using generative AI tools and ensuring equity and accessibility. Others worry about ethics, plagiarism, bias, misinformation, transparency, and the loss of critical thinking. And all in the learning professions are wondering how AI might allow or require changes in pedagogy and curricula.

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:

Each Wednesday from 11a - 12p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available the following week in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category. Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/RequestRegistrationLinksToUpcomingPCIWebinars>

Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

*        June 26: Appy Hour with Kira and Holl
*        July 10: Recharge Your Energy: Refill Your Cup, Reignite Your Power
*        July  17: A Mindful Approach to Stress
*        July  24: Setting Boundaries with Patrons
*        July 31: Hit the Gym or Hit the Library: How to Improve Health and Wellness at Your Local Library
*        Aug 7: From Knowing to Doing: Maximizing the Impact of Employee Training
*        Aug 14: Day of the Dead Storytime
*        Aug 21: Meeting Challenging Emotions Mindfully
*        Aug 28: Influencing Others Into Action

Webinars coming up the week of June 24 (visit the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> for details):

Monday, June 24
*        8:00am If You Can Do Laundry, You Can Map a Logic Model (Nonprofit Learning Lab)

Tuesday, June 25
*        8:00am Share Knowledge, Ideas, Learning, and Library Solutions! (Nebraska Library Commission)
*        11:00am Introduction to Measuring Your Impact (Candid Learning)
*        11:00am The Dementia Friendly Library: Increasing belonging in Virginia Libraries (NNLM)

Wednesday, June 26
*        10:00am Recalibrate Your Events to Fuel Year-Round Fundraising (Productive Fundraising)
*        10:00am 5 Social Media Tips that Will Help You Turn heads and Raise Funds for Your Nonprofit (Charity-How-To)
*        11:00am Managing Effective Library Boards (Niche Academy)
*        11:00am Public Libraries Supporting African American Writers (ALA)
*        11:00am PCI: Appy Hour with Kira and Holly
*        12:00pm Cool Features You Can Use to Shine when Presenting with Slides (Tech-Talk)

Save the dates for these WebJunction webinars:

July 10, 12:00 - 1:00 pm PT, Why do we fall for misinformation?<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/why-do-we-fall-for-misinformation.html?>

>From falling for cheap fakes to trusting the credibility of AI-generated references, we can all be vulnerable to online misinformation. In this webinar, learn about several research-based strategies that can supplement and expand on your existing information literacy approaches with patrons. Researchers from the University of Washington's Center for an Informed Public will unpack how online information environments influence what we see and believe online. Come explore opportunities to increase capacity for public library staff and community members to address and navigate problematic information.

Presented by: Jevin West and Chris Coward, Co-Founders, Center for an Informed Public at the University of Washington Information School; and Kate Lapinski, Chicago Public Library

July 17, 12:00 - 1:00 pm PT, Cultural humility in library work<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/cultural-humility-in-library-work.html>

Cultural humility offers a renewing and transformative framework for navigating interpersonal interactions in libraries, whether between patrons and staff or staff members with one another. But what is cultural humility, and what does it look like in practice? Join the editors of Hopeful visions, practical actions: Cultural humility in library work, (ALA Editions 2023) as they define and explore the concept of cultural humility, its strengths and limitations, and strategies for applying more inclusive practices to library customer service, policies, and collection development.

Presented by: David A. Hurley, University Libraries, University of New Mexico; Sarah R. Kostelecky, Library of Congress; and Lori Townsend, University Libraries, University of New Mexico.

Cheers,

Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)

Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services

971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>

Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DAC256.B06D73B0]

[https://res.cdn.office.net/assets/bookwithme/misc/CalendarPerson20px.png]<https://outlook.office365.com/bookwithme/user/a59abb0a2327467fac503ddb3913cf5e@slo.oregon.gov?anonymous&ep=signature>

Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office365.com/bookwithme/user/a59abb0a2327467fac503ddb3913cf5e@slo.oregon.gov?anonymous&ep=signature>