[R2R-OR] Ready to Read Road Show recap and what's next

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Jun 27 14:45:30 PDT 2014

The Ready to Read Road Show has ended! Thanks to all of you who participated in person and by phone. I had a wonderful time traveling the state, seeing your libraries, and getting to talk face-to-face with some of you for the first time. Attached is the handout I distributed at the training which highlights big proposed changes, elements of the grant that are proposed to stay the same, the process timeline, and list of the Reimagining Ready to Read task force members.

Evaluation of the Road Show:

*        Desired outcome: library staff will feel better about the proposed changes to the Ready to Read Grant program.

*        49 out of 131 eligible libraries participated in the Road Show. Many libraries sent 2-3 staff, but I didn't do actual head counts. (output measure, number of participating libraries)

*        I did an informal thumbs ups, thumbs sideways, and thumbs down survey at the end of most stops on the Road Show. Most people felt better about the proposed changes to the grant as a result of participating in the Road Show, 5-7 people felt about the same, and no one felt worse. (outcome indicator, survey)

*        Some participant comments (paraphrased) include: (outcome indicator, informal interview)

o   These changes seem better than Ready to Read as it is now.

o   These forms are much easier.

o   I'm glad the minimum grant and age range are increasing.

o   I like having more options for what I can spend state money on.

o   I'm glad the budget pages aren't changing.

o   I'm glad we won't have to worry about the 0-14 age limit for summer reading.

o   What we're already doing with Ready to Read meets the underserved criteria so I'm not worried anymore.

o   I learned that my library is an a geographically underserved community so everything I do meets the underserved criteria and I feel a lot better now.

o   I like having more options, but need more ideas for school age projects and teen SRP.

o   I'm going to need a lot help the first couple years figuring this out, but I'm not worried about the changes any more.

o   Having three evaluation options make me feel less overwhelmed, but I will need help the first couple years.

o   I feel better about the engaging the underserved criteria now, but I will need help the first couple years.

o   I'm not really concerned about the proposed changes, but I'm still worried about outcome based evaluation in general.

o   Ready to Read as currently exists overwhelms me and I don't think these proposed changes will make me feel better or worse.

o   I've never done Ready to Read so I don't know how I feel about it let alone the proposed changes.

*        At the beginning of Road Show stops I observed most participants to be intensely focused, not smiling, fairly quiet, and kind-of stiff. By the end of each session I observed most participants to be smiling, talking a lot, relaxed, and at several stops even laughing! These observations indicate that most people seemed concerned about the proposed changes at the beginning, but comfortable with them at the end of road show sessions. (outcome indicator, observation)

Based on these evaluation results, the State Library plans to:

*        Submit a proposal to OLA to present The Ready to Read Road Show as a session at the 2015 OLA Annual Conference. This will be the same as what I just did on the Road Show because the evaluation indicated the way I conducted the Road Show was effective for most participants. This will provide an opportunity for libraries that didn't participate to do so and for repetition for those of us who need to hear things a couple times to feel we really understand it.

*        Conduct two face-to-face and one webinar training (recorded and archived) on outcome base evaluation as it relates to filling out the grant application, implementing the grant project, and filling out the grant report. No timeline yet, but I'll keep you posted... and warn you in advance it will be my first time presenting in a webinar!

*        Continue to provide Ready to Read/Reading for Success consulting on an as needed basis. Most of you are already doing this, but just in case you're new or didn't know...  You can always:

o   Call or email me to ask questions.

o   Ask me to come visit your library to discuss the grant in detail-or to come visit me at the State Library!

o   Ask me to attend a staff, board, and/or cooperative organization meeting to answer questions.

o   Ask me to present a session at a staff in-service day or cooperative organization meeting on a particular grant related topic or issue.

The proposed changes to the Ready to Read Grant program (Reading for Success) have started through the legislative process. This is a long process. The next time we'll hear anything is at the end of November when the Governor releases his proposed budget. We will give you an update at that time. In the mean time, please...

Email (katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>) or call (503-378-2528) the Youth Services Consultant to ask questions about the proposed changes to the Ready to Read Grant.

Email the State Librarian (marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>) to express support for or concerns about the proposed changes to the Ready to Read Grant to be shared with decision makers.

Thanks,
Katie

[Fizz Boom Read][Girlandcloud]
Summer Reading 2014 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!